I got lucky...

Bruce McLeish

A feller down towards town was having a garage sale and so i stopped. He was selling a "trashey, piece o'crap " 14 inch bandsaw that never worked. He sold it to me for $10.00. Got it home, cleaned it up, did some adjustments of the guides and lubed it up. First free hand cut in a piece of seasoned apple , I was able to get a sixteenth inch thick by a foot long cut.! So, look out spacers and scales.. I'm able to do some serious cuttin now!

Good deal what is the brand?
I have NO idea ! Prolly Taiwanese judging from the castings. But, that being said, I really wanted it for cutting stock for scales and liners , and it appears to be able to do that. Time will tell, though. Still, being Scottish, I've saved an awful lot of dough.!

That's exactly the kind of deal I need to run across, Bruce. Like you, I need a band saw to cut blocks into scales and then to get the scales down close to final profile. You'd laugh at the jerry-rig methods I'm using to do that without a proper saw. Congrats!

That's exactly the kind of deal I need to run across, Bruce. Like you, I need a band saw to cut blocks into scales and then to get the scales down close to final profile. You'd laugh at the jerry-rig methods I'm using to do that without a proper saw. Congrats!
Thanks. Go to garage sales. Maybe you'll get lucky ,too.
I wouldn't laugh at anyone's methods. After all,' my stuff is made with files and hand saws. I did buy a HF metal bandsaw, just to come to the twenty first century.

Bruce..... your story just reminded me.... I have an OLD 14" bandsaw ratholed away in the shipping container that sits behind my blacksmith shop! A friend gave it to me YEARS ago....has the old solid guides on it, and I was waiting to find bearing guides to convert it....and just never did!

Your story also reminds me of the time I stopped at a "second hand" store, because I saw a full size cone mandrel sitting out front. I asked the clerk if it was for sale....he kinda stumbled for a minute, and said he was looking for someone to haul it off because he needed the room! Guess where that ended up? :) He even helped me load it into my truck! (I waited until AFTER it was loaded before answering his question of "what is it?") One man's trash....... :)

Bruce..... your story just reminded me.... I have an OLD 14" bandsaw ratholed away in the shipping container that sits behind my blacksmith shop! A friend gave it to me YEARS ago....has the old solid guides on it, and I was waiting to find bearing guides to convert it....and just never did!

Your story also reminds me of the time I stopped at a "second hand" store, because I saw a full size cone mandrel sitting out front. I asked the clerk if it was for sale....he kinda stumbled for a minute, and said he was looking for someone to haul it off because he needed the room! Guess where that ended up? :) He even helped me load it into my truck! (I waited until AFTER it was loaded before answering his question of "what is it?") One man's trash....... :)
Well, now that you're feeling better, get to it! No time like the present.
i always feel good when I can rescue something like this. I'm the same way with rescuing dogs.

Back