I am spent.......

JawJacker

I have made about 15 knives so far, never did I realize how hard it is after HT to clean up grind lines by hand. I would run through the grits to 400 only to see 50 grit or so line still in it. Lesson learned, pay more attention pre HT, wow my hands ache.

I feel your pain. Been there too. I've had cortisone shots in both wrists to reduce inflammation. They need it again already.
A word of advice, Spend allot of time on the grinder after heat treat. I've learned to grind to a very high grit finish on the grinder after the blade is hardened. Many times I don't even grind the bevels before heat treating. Just be careful to not overheat the blade with old belts. Use fresh belts and keep your water bucket handy.

Bruce so you basically just make the profile of your knife drill hole send to HT and then grind? Do you burn through belts really fast doing it that way? whats the advantage of doing it that way verses doing the bevel before heat treat? sorry for so many questions but still learning.

I've always done 99% on the grinder, it's the way I was taught so I didn't know any better. It's always puzzled me why people spend so much time hand sanding. Anyway....be open to new tricks to ease your pain. Grind closer to finish. PBC compound is a great help, on carbon steels it allows me to heat treat with a 600 grit belt finish and be a step ahead after. Same with foil on stainless. Although I mostly do hollows, but a thin cork lined platen made a big difference at grits over 1000. You just need to really learn your machine and apply the right finesse where it's needed. Neccesity is the mother of invention.

Rudy

I've always done 99% on the grinder, it's the way I was taught so I didn't know any better. It's always puzzled me why people spend so much time hand sanding. Anyway....be open to new tricks to ease your pain. Grind closer to finish. PBC compound is a great help, on carbon steels it allows me to heat treat with a 600 grit belt finish and be a step ahead after. Same with foil on stainless. Although I mostly do hollows, but a thin cork lined platen made a big difference at grits over 1000. You just need to really learn your machine and apply the right finesse where it's needed. Neccesity is the mother of invention.

Rudy

Rudy, I hand sand to FIX dips and the like that are due to my inexperienced grinding abilities. :biggrin: And to be honest I have come to enjoy it. My grinding has gotten better so I am not hand sanding near as long and it gives me a chance to relax after a hectic day of work and kiddos. I just turn on some music and get lost for an hour.

Back