HUGE slab of maple and what to do with it.

doomtooth

My father brought me this massive slab that is 4 in thick by 8 inches wide by 5 feet long. Its difficult for me to move alone and i have no idea what to do with this thing. As I understand it this used to be part of the 20 foot long beam that supported his work shed.
WIN_20151022_115134.jpgWIN_20151022_115159.jpgWIN_20151022_115213 (2).jpg

It is an amazing piece of wood just from the fact it is free of checks. I hope it has lots of grain showing. To hard for me to tell from pictures.
Frank

After dinner i'll get a better close up of it.WIN_20151022_171651.jpg Thats about as good as it gets. The camera on my tablet isn't the greatest.

Last edited:
I would make a leather anvil out of it. A lot of work to get knife handles from it. Take it to a cabinet shop and have them surface sand it on a drum sander or a side belt sander. Cut it into 2 peices for a 8x8" or 3 peices for a 8x12". Will need a stand and lots of oil. But that will last a few generations. Making an old style butcher block.

I have a fine cut hand saw but using that to process a piece this big is a no go. I don't know anyone with a bandsaw big enough to handle it and my dads table saw is just too darn small. I might make a butcher block out of some of it but I would really like to get about ten or so handles out of it. If nothing else i'll just let it chill in my shed. It makes a good foot rest when im workin on my low bench.

Last edited:
Back