Huey Lewis Was Right.

J.Higgins

Its hip to be square!

Found it on Craigslist for $100. It needs some TLC, but I am sure it will be an acceptable setup.

Now my next question will be: Can anyone please advise? My previous grinder was a Bader, so I know little about these square-wheels, so do any of you know where I can buy parts for this? Does anyone sell any aftermarket parts for these?

Dang,you hit the jack pot there.thats what I started with and still use it occasionally.I use a bader III now that I got a great deal on years ago.
I bought my square wheel at graingers about 25 years ago,they still carry it I'm sure.parts are available from lots of places,including 8" wheels.
The only thing I don't like about the square wheel is the belt tension,one notch up and the belt's to tight,one down and you might have tracking problems.I had a couple belt's snap over the years I used it.if you hear the belt ticking and it gets louder.....jump out of the way ! cause here it comes ! Ha Ha. seriously though,that's a great machine, your going to like it.

You should be fine for parts for those older made in USA machines.
If you leave the cowling shroud on it you are safe from belts snapping. I alway wear a ball cap when grinding as protecting from snapped belts and a curb scrapper to keep my nose at a safe distance!

Great find! You will be a happy grinding fool in no time !

Those old square wheels were tanks...
nice tool buy..

The belts that snapped on me came right out the front like a speeding 72" snake,getting me right in the belly.that only happened once,you'll know it's coming if you hear ticking.I never thought about it but if it could be modified to operate on spring tension rather than that notch system I think it would be a better machine.your's looks like it has a brake too,mine doesn't have that.

They are noisy.

Any ideas why? Do you think its all the sheetmetal? Was your unit the one that screams at 8600fpm? That may be why they are so loud - its probably the rpms.

I guess I will have to experiment a bit once I refurbish it. Perhaps a liberal dose of rubber here and there will quiet it down a little, and swap out the motor for a quiet TEFC at around 1700rpm. Maybe I should just build this as a hogger and let 'er rip, meanwhile get myself a KMG for the finer stuff.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure why they are so loud. I put a variable speed motor on mine and it is still loud. I like the sheetmetal, most of the time it protects from a belt breaking. I have four other grinders, and still use the Square Wheel a lot. I bought mine around 1980 and have used it a lot. They are pretty durable.
I think your model may be older than mine, but that doesn't matter. You may need to replace some bearings, but that's not too hard.
I milled the slots out where the allen head bolts attach the platen to the machine. That way I can switch tooling quickly. I have 8", 10", 3", 3/4" wheels, also a couple of platens. If you would like pictures, let me know and I will try to post some.
If you put a variable speed motor on you will need a smaller drive wheel. Rob Frink at Beaumont machinery made mine and it fit perfectly.

Good advice, Tom. I am not really sure what I want to with this. I will definitely pay tribute and make it a nice unit again. If the motor runs strong I will probably leave that for a while and focus on getting it completely sano.

Back