Howdy for Mount Pleasant, Texas

Being spanking new to knife making, I want to add a propane forge to the shop. Been using coal for the past 2 years. I INVITE RECOMMENDATIONS ON A PROPANE FORGE. The learning curve on building your own forge is not a challenge I wish to undertake. The learning curve for knife making is steep enough, but I am eager for that challenge. I just finished running two 220 v MC cables to a brand new KMG and a used kiln. Still need to build a wall rack to hold the grinding belts.

Welcome to Knife Dawgs. I have owned a Diamondback single burner knifemaker and I currently have a two burner Majestic artists forge. I would recommend them both for different jobs. What are you looking to do with your new gas forge?

Welcome to Knife Dawgs. I have owned a Diamondback single burner knifemaker and I currently have a two burner Majestic artists forge. I would recommend them both for different jobs. What are you looking to do with your new gas forge?
I would like to forge and heat treat from the same forge if possible. I was looking at a one and two burner Diamondback or the Darren Ellis 8-HT 8x13 horizontal tube forge with either forced air or a venturi burner. Either will be expensive. When I buy a product it is usually the best I can afford that way there is little or no disappointment. If I have to face a steep learning curve I rather it is with knife making and not forge and burner building. Thank you for the question and your interest.

I would like to forge and heat treat from the same forge if possible. I was looking at a one and two burner Diamondback or the Darren Ellis 8-HT 8x13 horizontal tube forge with either forced air or a venturi burner. Either will be expensive. When I buy a product it is usually the best I can afford that way there is little or no disappointment. If I have to face a steep learning curve I rather it is with knife making and not forge and burner building. Thank you for the question and your interest.
Do you intend to forge just knives or do you want to do general blacksmithing? I have no experience with blown gas forges but I believe those that use them find them superior to venturi burners.

I forge and HT from the same forge. But I also do general blacksmith work too so I needed a fairly large forge that I can set up (rig) for certain jobs. Because of the way the majestic is made I can block half of it off with firebrick and use a single burner to forge and HT knives and smaller projects or I can use both burners and leave it blocked off in the middle if I have two people working in my shop. Or, I can use the whole forge with both burners for large projects or forge welding. I do all of that with one forge. It really depends on how you intend to use the forge in my opinion. If you want to make kinves only then go with a smaller forge built for that purpose. You get the idea.

Do you intend to forge just knives or do you want to do general blacksmithing? I have no experience with blown gas forges but I believe those that use them find them superior to venturi burners.
I want to learn to forge knives as well as general blacksmithing. Waiting delivery of one burner Chili forge. Just chop sawed 2 pieces of 5160 off a Ford leaf spring.

I forge and HT from the same forge. But I also do general blacksmith work too so I needed a fairly large forge that I can set up (rig) for certain jobs. Because of the way the majestic is made I can block half of it off with firebrick and use a single burner to forge and HT knives and smaller projects or I can use both burners and leave it blocked off in the middle if I have two people working in my shop. Or, I can use the whole forge with both burners for large projects or forge welding. I do all of that with one forge. It really depends on how you intend to use the forge in my opinion. If you want to make kinves only then go with a smaller forge built for that purpose. You get the idea.
I welded together a 4 x4 a coal forge coal and use a 165lb forged anvil. Have rebuilt a LG 25lb power hammer. Awaiting delivery of one burner Chili forge. Who has experience with using pottery kilns for heat treat? I have an excellent Duncan kiln on the cheap and would like to wire in a digital controller. Does anyone have experience with this kind of project?

Back