How to tune a burner?

firephil

I just fired up a burner I built like a Zoeller sidearm burner and it won't stay lit, sometimes it will flashback to the orifice. Using a .035 mig tip at about 5 oz. to 10 oz. I tried positioning the tip in various areas and had the same result. I didn't have a flare on the tube , if that matters. Any ideas?

I know they recommend an 8 inch tube on their site. Just trying to figure out whats happening.

Phil
Make sure everything is clean and there is no metal filings or plumbers tape or pipe dope interfering with your mig tip.
To adjust burner slide 1/4" pipe forward and back in the tee until you hear a roar, you can do this before you even install burner into forge.
watch how the flame burns as you adjust. Make sure your small tube with mig tip is centered in the larger 3/4" tube.
Do a internet search on the sidearm burner you will find out more info on how to adjust.
Take your time and do some more reading before you fire it up. be careful.
Larry is a great person to talk to and ask questions, he has spent a lot of time developing his burners.
I'm using a sidearm burner in my forge, I purchased all the burner material from Larry.
I'm pretty sure you should have a nozzle flare on the end of your burner tube I think it has to do with back pressure?
Did you use a Ward Tee for the air fitting, this makes the best shape for the air fuel intake.
Follow Larrys instrustions and things should work. I'm able to adjust my fuel and air thru the entire psi range
and keep every thing running great I'm using an 035 mig tip.
hope this helps. maybe some more experience makers will chime in.

Phil, you need the flare on a venturi burner. It creates a pressure decrease at
the tip that prevents the burner from blowing itself out.

You can run a forced air burner without one.

David

Last edited:
Back