How to seal cracks in mammoth tooth ?

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
I have used a lot of mammoth tooth, but it has all had a lot of sealing done before I got . I was left with having to go over it with CA glue or Epoxy to start and then perhaps as I went along. I guess they were partly stabilized. I was just given some large pieces that I think are very beautiful that will need to be sliced in half for thickness but will also require some heavy filling. Any information how I may be able to properly do this would be certainly appreciated. Frank

Sand down some ebony with 120 grit and mix the ebony dust with epoxy or a very thick glue. Fill in holes and sand the tooth to 120. Repeat as necessary until all voids are filled.

I just got done watching "Working With Fossil Handle Materials" by the Turnage family :)

Contact Charles Turnage.
That said I have used thin superglue and mammoth tooth (same tooth) dust that I collect in a paper funnel to fill voids before and after the handle is done. Works for me.
Just make a paper funnel and use a new coarse belt and catch the dust into the funnel. Put the super glue on and sprinkle the dust on top of it while its wet. Let it dry and repeat as needed.

Contact Charles Turnage.
That said I have used thin superglue and mammoth tooth (same tooth) dust that I collect in a paper funnel to fill voids before and after the handle is done. Works for me.
Just make a paper funnel and use a new coarse belt and catch the dust into the funnel. Put the super glue on and sprinkle the dust on top of it while its wet. Let it dry and repeat as needed.

Good advice, I use that method with my gourd work.......I use the dust and shavings, mix it with wood glue and use it to repair or fill in areas that need it.......It sands great and you can hardly tell where it is after sanding......

J, it certainly could. Maybe a new belt will slough off some grit, if so a slightly used belt would be better. You should be able to see grit color in the tooth dust.
Doesn't the sanding grit included from creating the dust cause problems with the final finish?

That's how they fix corian counter tops. A lil dust with the resin and voila like new. I could see the belt dust being a problem though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

No, people the sanding dust doesn't create problems when used with mammoth tooth when mixed with epoxy. When mixed with CA it causes the glue to dry immediately and generally make a mess instead of helping. CA glue when used without the "dust" by itself works very well as a filler on smaller cracks and voids. Frank

I can't say for sure for the mammoth tooth but I have used it with antler and bone, but you have to thin it. I can't remember for sure but, I think I thinned with either Acetone or it may have been Denatured Alcohol, you will need to experiment unless you want to buy the real thing! I can't remember but Boss, may sell it. Bruce Bump uses it maybe he can tell you.

However any way you go you are going to have to go back and sand off the excess, IMO but that leaves the crack filed and you finish it by buffing! With antler I used a greenie pad to buff of the excess, it gets into the grain of the antler without taking it back out of the cracks. It also keeps the antler from doing a major change with light spots on the high areas of the antler. You can't dilly dally even with the thinner/reducer in the CA! It doesn't come with out some work any way you go about it!

This was a piece of sun bleached antler complete with crack and a few knaw marks for critters. It was done in stages. The CA was put in to seal and strengthen. Then buffed with a greenie pad, then a coat of thinned black rustolem paint and the buffed with a greenie pad again. The it was hit with a coat of Potassium Permanganate to give it a brown color and then rebuffied, and another coat of CA. Before it was finished it was lighlly buffed to achive the tones and sealed with CA a final time. It kind of like doing a painting you do the back ground first and then build out from there!

000_1163.jpg

The only way that is easier is too send it of to have it stabalized and tinted/colored and then you exchange of a boat load of money he sends it back and you use it, or drop it, ................... well you know how it goes from there!:3::lol:

Last edited:
Back