How to scribe a center line ???

Lerch

I am wanting to side a center line so i can mark where i want my cutting edge at on the knife blank before i start grinding. I am sure there is some pretty easy way to do it but for some reason i just cant figure it out lol. what do you guys recommend ?

thanks

Use a drill bit the same thickness as the blade. Clamp it to your bench and slide the cutting edge along the drill tip. Flip blade over and repeat. This will give you true center. Mark blade edge with a black sharpie before scribing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

If you have a set of dial calipers, it is very easy. If using carbon steel, we need to leave an edge around .030 before heat treat (or .020 if you're good!), stainless can go thinner (.015). Let's take a blade that is .125" thick, and we've used a black marker, or marking dye, to darken the whole length of the edge. Since we need an edge of .030", we take the total thickness .125" divided by two, and add .015" ( .015 + .015 = .030). Set your caliper to .078, let one of the "prongs" of the caliper ride along the blade surface, while the other "prong" tip scribes the line onto the edge. Flip the knife over, repeat for the other side. Now you have a .030" edge that is dead center. Grind to your scribed line! If you don't have a set of calipers, you can use a simple block of wood with a screw in the side of it. You turn the screw up or down, and use the screw head to scribe the line. Eyeball it one one side, flip it over and do the other. After a try or two, you'll have it dead center as well, and can eyeball your edge thickness with the thickness of a dime. But you can get dial calipers so dirt cheap, and they are invaluable in a shop.

Oh yeah, forgot about the drill bit approach. Used to use that method myself!

Mr. Niro? Did someone tell you how old I am ? I did have another birthday yesterday. I sure like "Frank". I've sort of got used to it over all the years I've been around. Frank

Lol, Frank it is then. The sir and mister is just a hard learned behavior to break. Being of Hispanic descent, growing up in Texas and serving in the military really made that stick. :)

Last edited:
I made a video on my YouTube a while back on how to make a quick and dirty (and adjustable) center scribe using commonly available parts that you'd probably already have around the shop.

[video=youtube;ioNy474XuVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNy474XuVU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Back