How to reed or coin edges?

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
I’ve seen knives with “coining” or “reeding” around the rim of a spacer (i.e. J. Doyle). Any resources out there on how this done? I’ve tried to google it with no luck. Thanks in advance!

I'll be watching this one, I have wondered the same thing. My simple mind says maybe some type of indexing jig, sorta kinda like what you'd use for fluting a Quillon dagger, only maybe with lots of teeth like an indexing gear. A puzzle to me.. , .

I'll be watching this one, I have wondered the same thing. My simple mind says maybe some type of indexing jig, sorta kinda like what you'd use for fluting a Quillon dagger, only maybe with lots of teeth like an indexing gear. A puzzle to me.. , .
I bet it has something to do with a checkering file .... but I have no clue. Maybe a milling machine?

I hope you get an answer because I too have done the same research after being inspired by what I saw on other knives. I found nothing. Maybe it’s a trade secret but hope not.

Unless I am mistaken. Reed or coined edge refers to the change in your pocket. Look at a dime or a quarter. You will see the groves running from one side to the other. That's it!!! This is what I use to do that.

Attachments

• 20181028_194902.jpg
    20181028_194902.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181028_194754.jpg
    20181028_194754.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 29
There was a thread on this I will say over a yr ago.I think there is a file for this MR Doyle could help you I'll bet.

Okay, 'fess up, after reading Mr.Doyle's thread, how many ordered the F. Dick needle file set? I know I did, they will be a welcome replacement for my el cheapo set!

Haha, oh, I'm not ever gonna try THAT, I just need a good set of needle files! I have to buy three sets of the cheap knockoffs to get one halfway passable file for fitting guards and spacers.

Revisiting this thread.
Since this was posted, I have read the instructions and tried the, "by hand" method numerous times. My collection of fails is growing, and my hat is off to those who have developed the hand/eye skills and coordination to make it look right.
Remember the old Superman comics with bizarro world? Well, my try's are kinda like that!
Still plugging along with it though, trying it at least once a month. Maybe one day..., .

Revisiting this thread.
Since this was posted, I have read the instructions and tried the, "by hand" method numerous times. My collection of fails is growing, and my hat is off to those who have developed the hand/eye skills and coordination to make it look right.
Remember the old Superman comics with bizarro world? Well, my try's are kinda like that!
Still plugging along with it though, trying it at least once a month. Maybe one day..., .
Lol.... trust me, I know how you feel.

Back