How to protect the tang when fitting scales?

theWeatherman

I need some ideas and help protecting the tang spine area!!! I had a knife Cerakoted and the scales do not fit perfectly and there is enough overhand everywhere that I need to bring the scales down so they meet the tang nicely. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to protect the spine etc so that I don't scratch the Cerakote off, when I bring the scale flush?

I will have to be spot-on next time but I want to salvage the one knife that is off.

thanks!

Brian

Tuff spot weatherman!
So if it were me i would, assuming the scales are able or are already off the tang, get a scribed mark on one scale and nice and slowly sand it down to that mark, confirm thats where you want to be mate the scales together temporarily, and sand the one to fit the other, obviously taking your scale edges to final finish grit. I love using damascus and usually use corbies so i can do all the fit ups nice and easily, i still take a piece of tape to give me a layer of protection and reference when im finishing the sides up, but your right it makes it 100 times easier when your spot on out of the gate!! Hope that helps!
Greg

GHaile, Thanks for that idea. I might try that depending if I have a better one come my way. The bandsaw gave up the ghost so that is why I am in this predicament to begin with. I have heard of using tape and then hand filing.

I did something similar when I wanted to make a knife with an acid blued guard, pommel and tang. I permanently mounted the pommel and guard and temporarily mounted the scale blanks and shaped the handle. I then drove out the temporary pins, making sure I marked the top and which side the scales went on and did the bluing. I then reassembled the scales with permanent pins.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 19
Tuff spot weatherman!
So if it were me i would, assuming the scales are able or are already off the tang, get a scribed mark on one scale and nice and slowly sand it down to that mark, confirm thats where you want to be mate the scales together temporarily, and sand the one to fit the other, obviously taking your scale edges to final finish grit. I love using damascus and usually use corbies so i can do all the fit ups nice and easily, i still take a piece of tape to give me a layer of protection and reference when im finishing the sides up, but your right it makes it 100 times easier when your spot on out of the gate!! Hope that helps!
Greg

This actually worked really really well. Thanks!

Back