How to Get a bad nail nick

T.A. DAVISON

I will not do this again, got my thumb caught between the fly cutter and the blade in the vice.

I thought it had ripped the end of my thumb off.:eek: *&X#^%%

BadA.jpg

badB.jpg

badc.jpg

man you are lucky you didn't. your thumb would have given away a long time before the Kurt vise would have...bet it hurt like a bugger..

OUCH. That looks like it hurt. Glad to hear your ok...

Yeah, you're gonna need to go back and look at that picture again... "Okay" isn't completely the right word here. How about "I'm glad you didn't actually lose the end of your thumb there"

Damn, talk about a nail nick.

.. BTW, nice vice...

OUCH doesn't even begin to cover that! I'm nearly an expert in knifemaking related hand injuries and that one actually does almost hurt just to look at it. It also looks like one that will actually hurt more in a day or two.

I'm glad it wasn't worse, heal fast.

That Sir, is gnarly! Glad it wasn't worse and sorry it happend at all. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Ran my index finger into a disk with 36g on it a few days ago took my finger tip off and would rather do it again than have what you have done happen to me.

That looks nasty. Glad you took photos before bandaging it up :) What isn't there to love about making knives.

Very stupid, I was going and try to do a gap check with a piece of paper and reset the mill.
I had change something and did not lock it down and was going to have to reset for the final depth cut.
I thought know way it would hit me?
And all I need it to do is just touch the paper and shut down.

Talk about learning the hard way it sure is PAINFUL!!!

Oh and Thanks Les about even hurting worse later.... I've learned that though - The Hard Way.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the well wishes.

Later.

Todd

That is a different kind of nail nick than I was thinking when I opened this thread. I am glad it didn't mess you up worse.

If you get blood collecting under that nail you are going to have to 1) drill a small hole in the nail (NOT recommended) or 2) go see the doc and let him burn a hole in the nail to let the blood out (a MUCH better idea). It sounds gruesome but it's instant relief. Take care and remember that power tools maim and can mess you up faster than you can snatch your hand back. If my Dad was around he could tell you how he lost the tips of three fingers to a shaper. Of course that would get him into a corous of "I knew better, I KNEW better". Glad that you still have all the parts. Consider it a cheap leason.

Doug Lester

Back