How many sheaths did you have to make...

Chef Niloc

... before you got good at it?

I started working with leather just about 3 years ago. In that time I have made 12 sheaths, 2 belts, 3 cases and a money clip. Now my skills have come a long way in the past 10 months thanks to this board, better tools, Chuck & Paul's DVD's. However I would by no means consider my self good, not yet. I went to the knife show in NJ last weekend and while I didn't care much for the knives at this show I did see some very nice looking sheaths, many made by members of this board. I must say It was kind of cool being able to tell who made a sheath with out needing to flip it over & see a makers mark. Any way back to my question. How long/ how many sheaths did you have to make before you got that "pro" look to your work?

I think I've made about 80 sheaths, one carved holster, 2 carved flasks, and a few other things here and there, and I've still got plenty of room for improvement. Some might say I've got the "pro" look, but I bet the real pros wouldn't.

In my opinion, leathercrafting and knifemaking are two areas of crafting that the door for improvement is always open!As time rolls on you get better and better, but in your own eye you will always look at your own work and think,this is good, but I feel I can do better.I, like many other knifemakers, hated doing sheathwork at first.It was yet one more thing to learn that I was'nt good at yet.When I got into the period style work, the rawhide sheaths were a real challenge because of the lack of information available.As I went along, I actually began to enjoy it because it was such a challenge to get the look I was after.Over the course of several years of studying and much trial and error, I developed the look I was after and satisfied with, and the public thought was pretty good as well.Even now however, I still study and try new and different techniques to continually improve and offer the consumer the very best work I can do, so the quest is never ending!

Well, I'm at about 3000 sheaths now and I still, as John pointed out, look at each one with a critical eye and think I might have done this or that differently or better and it is this process that has evolved my sheaths to the point they are at today. This is still not the end.

That, however, doesn't specifically answer your question. The general look of a sheath in the eyes of the recipient is the key I think. Make sure you spend enough time on the edges to get them glass smooth and perfect. Make sure you don't over do the tooling. Most new guys don't seem to know when to stop. Don't tool the back side of the sheath or the loop back there....it is,in my opinion, the mark of a novice.

Lining your work adds a professional looking dimension. The DVDS you mentioned cover that.

Keep comparing your work, each piece, to that of someone whom you consider professional, and when it starts to look that way you may have arrived.....for that day, but as John said it's a never ending quest, for all of us.

Paul

Paul were you making "pro looking" sheaths back before you had a sewing machine. I guess I'm asking if you were selling sheaths that you hand stiched or did you start using a machine B/C you did not like the look of your hand stitching, or was it just so you could keep up with your work load?
Do you have any old pictures of your hand stiched work?
Do you still hand stitch if asked?
Also why do you think tooling the back side looks novice like? On a pouch style sheath were would you stop the tooling & how would you make the transition from the tooling to the smooth leather?

Thank you
Colin

I agree with my friends, we are ALL still learning and growing.One thing I would suggest if possible is to have someone whose work you admire, look at your sheaths and give an honest critique.It's a great way to speed up the learning curve.While it's sometimes easy to spot mistakes on pics here, nothing beats a hands on inspection,and likely you'll gain a new friend and mentor.Dave

I agree with my friends, we are ALL still learning and growing.One thing I would suggest if possible is to have someone whose work you admire, look at your sheaths and give an honest critique.It's a great way to speed up the learning curve.While it's sometimes easy to spot mistakes on pics here, nothing beats a hands on inspection,and likely you'll gain a new friend and mentor.Dave
That's a great idea.

Colin, My later hand stitching (which ended about 14 years ago) finally looked as good as machine stitching with regard to spacing, tension etc. Machine stitching certainly was a huge factor in my production capabilities, as it now takes about 15 to 20 seconds to stitch the edge of a sheath.

Back when I was hand stitching, digital cameras had not yet been born, or at least were not popular, and I did not even own a computer then so, no, I don't have any photos of my work then that can be easily displayed here in this format.

I have not had a request for hand stitching specifically that I can remember. Hand stitching is apparently not something the end user is very concerned about. There is nothing either better or worse about hand stitching when compared to machine work assuming both are done well. To answer your question, no, I will not hand stitch on request. It would cause me to increase my price due to the extra time involved and the quality of the end result would not be better. I will gladly refer this to another maker who does hand stitching. So far, I have had no takers.

My tooling areas are all pre planned as a result of the initial paper pattern. The stop line is determined at that time and is transferred to the leather along with the other components of the pattern. This most generally 1/8 inch to the left or right of the center line depending on whether it is a right or left hand sheath. I know before I make the first leather cut just what the finished sheath will look like including the tooling pattern, inlay, whatever. Review the pattern making, and tooling sections of the "Basic Pouch" DVD for a more "hands on" explanation. Many, if not most, of the newer people to leather craft don't know when to stop tooling, hence MY OPINION that it is the mark of a novice.

I hope I have addressed your questions. If not, I'm just a phone call or an email away, and I always have time for my friends.:1:

Paul

Last edited:
Very good thread. I sure agree that you never stop learning and or striving to better your work. I just veiwed one of Pauls dvd last night and enjoyed every bit of it. Lots of little tips that will really help in my leather work in the future.
My uncle had some advise for me back when I started saddle's. He said attention to detail was the key. The last ten percent of finish work in all areas of building a saddle was what will sell the saddle. Most customers will not be aware of what draws the eye to the product but it will be that last 10 percent of finish work that gives it the look.

I've found that his advise pretty much applies to most things you build by hand. Personally I've never finished something that I thought was as good as it should be.
Still trying to get the look here.

Very good thread. I sure agree that you never stop learning and or striving to better your work. I just veiwed one of Pauls dvd last night and enjoyed every bit of it. Lots of little tips that will really help in my leather work in the future.
My uncle had some advise for me back when I started saddle's. He said attention to detail was the key. The last ten percent of finish work in all areas of building a saddle was what will sell the saddle. Most customers will not be aware of what draws the eye to the product but it will be that last 10 percent of finish work that gives it the look.

I've found that his advise pretty much applies to most things you build by hand. Personally I've never finished something that I thought was as good as it should be.
Still trying to get the look here.

As a kid I used that trick on my mom when she would go out to work and tell me " you better have the house cleaned up by the time I get home" I use to just spray the cocktail table down with pledge so that when she walked in the door the 1st thing she would see was a nice shiny table and the smell of cleaning products in the air.
Now I do the same thing to my wife, somethings never change.

I'll have to remember that one Chef.

The look of quality also has to say function to me. Some of the leather work that is plain but has that fit & finish will always catch my eye. If it has features that I know will bring function to it's peak then I know the maker is building from experience. Quality leather sure don't hurt the cause also.

Never stop learning and practicing, if one does, one becomes stagnant.

I've seen it too often happen to good crafters.

I love discovering a "new to me" technique, but the feeling of "Why the heck didn't I think of that before?!" is a little frustrating. :9:

I started leather craft as I was recuperating from injuries in a Naval Hospital in 1944. I have continued from that time until the present (over 65 years) with a passion I have had for no other endeavour. I have made thousands of knife sheaths, holsters, gunbelts and related articles. At no time did I ever consider myself above learning new techniques from individuals just starting out as a hobbyist or from the perfectionist in the field. I have seen newcomers do work that I would have loved to be able to duplicate but the economics of the trade prohibited doing so---one must be able to make a profit for time invested. The term "professional" is often misleading as it refers to one selling his/her projects for a monetary gain and does not necessarily reflect a skill level. I will not name any specfic individual in this posting, but I have friends in this field that I consider to be amongst the finest in the trade, with individual styling without peer. They have been around these forums for quite some time, have years of experience, are more than generous with their advice, answering querys with grace and haste. We should be thankful that these forums are blessed with individuals of their character, knowledge, and the desire to see this trade perpetuated into the future. Rest assured that they are not resting on their laurels but are on a continuing chase for attempted perfection in their creations.

How long does it take to be proficient in one's passion? You tell me---I don't know-----------Sandy

One of these days I'm going to make a perfect one.

Concerning hand stitching, the machines speed things up but don't make it better. A lot of my modern gear is machine sewn but I hand saddle stitch my period gear with Barbours linen thread. If both are done right the hand stitching still looks a little better IMO. Historically saddlers took great pride in their stitching and would have as many as 8-12 stitches per inch. I study old pieces and admire that pride in workmanship that has all but been lost in most of todays products, not just leather. Sadly then as today mostly the craftsman is the one who appreciated it, few others do and even fewer are willing to pay for it.

This holster is saddle stitched with one continuous thread and two needles, even the toe plug, there is no stops or spices in the thread anywhere. Still it's not perfect, I'm still trying to make a perfect one.
GunRig1c.jpg

Back