how long is too long?

Hello dogs,

I'm new to this forum and also knew to knife making. I recently started a garage project knife from a spring off of an old trap. I got to the point of heating and quenching the blade and then became extracted with another project. I have yet to temper it, but now I'm worried after hearing a rumor about waiting too long to temper after quenching the steel. Is this true? Should I temper the blade within a certain time frame of quenching it? Thanks for your help!

I have always taken the still warm to touch knife right from HT to temper as I was taught that way. I turn on oven just prior to HT, then right after when I can touch the blade wipe it down and go right into temper cycles - Not sure, in reality, that it matters, but that's the way I do it.

I think the 'temper as soon as possible' thing is to get the blade into the oven to relieve the intense strains from hardening so you don't risk cracking. If the blade didn't crack, you shold be okay. I think getting the blades into the tempering oven as soon as possible is a good general rule.

You say this is the spring from an old trap? Any idea what the alloy is? Since it hasn't cracked yet, I doubt there is any problem. Just how hard is it now? Can you scratch it with a file? Hard to tell much about a mystery steel. That's how I got started in knife work this time, using metal found around the farm for forging. I'd expect the spring from a trap - I guess this is from a double spring type trap? Much like the springs on this trap?

0350bottom600.jpg

Ken H>

I've made a dozen or so trap spring knives, early in my knife journey. I'd suggest a low temper, maybe 300-350. The ones I was using would harden, but only to maybe 53-55. You don't want to temper too high, or you'll lose some of what little hardness you've got. They make a cool looking knife, for sure, but they're not going to be a high performance blade.

Back