How is this handle attached?

What is the handle material?
I don’t have a clue... I just found this pic online somewhere. But... I would love to do something similar with wood.

Johan, I’m gonna check that link out now. Thanks for the info. I’ve been to his site before and I like it. Good stuff there.

Being half japanese i have been around Japanese kitchen knives all my life. I have seen both pinned and non pinned handles. In this style with wood, including the one I current use, they are generally not pinned. I have one made with a corian handle that is pinned.

The traditional way is to burn the tang into the handle and then the final fit is simply a friction fit by rapping on the rear of the handle and allowing inertia to do the final fitting of the tang into the hole. The black ferrule is fit to the tang fairly well and hides the ugly tang hole in the handle. It is generally not glued, to either the handle or the tang, but instead just wedged in place by the bite of the handle onto the tang. Japanese knives are made in this way because the handle is replaceable. It is considered a wear item.

This style of knife does not do heavy chopping. The blade is generally pulled gently through the fish / vegetables. Being a true slicer, there is no stress whatsoever on the handle/tang fit.

Last edited:
Randy Haas (HHH knives) does a lot of traditional handles but I believe his are permanently fixed since they are ultra-high grade handles. The one in the picture looks to be one of the typical low cost kitchen handles that today are made from Ho wood or a synthetic and the ferrule is probably plastic.

Being half japanese i have been around Japanese kitchen knives all my life. I have seen both pinned and non pinned handles. In this style with wood, including the one I current use, they are generally not pinned. I have one made with a corian handle that is pinned.
I love corian handles! Pic please?

Back