How does this work?

Absinthe

Came across this Imperial on eBay, I can only assume it is an automatic by the looks of it, and the description that claims the lock works but not the spring. Unfortunately the bidding went higher than a "curiosity" price for me. :) I have a rudimentary understanding of the basic SB mechanisms, like the OTF and the ones in FB's stilettos. But I don't see a blade hole like in the FB ones and from the rest of the photos it appears to open like a folder. I looked up the patent numbers, but could only find the first one, but that seemed to have mostly to do with how the handles connect.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I had a couple of those growing up. The button is sprung and pushing it moves a pin back and out of a hole in the tang. It also acts as the lock open. The slide is nothing more than a fork that prevents the button from depressing.
At least that's what I remember. So take that with a grain of rock salt!

I had a couple of those growing up. The button is sprung and pushing it moves a pin back and out of a hole in the tang. It also acts as the lock open. The slide is nothing more than a fork that prevents the button from depressing.
At least that's what I remember. So take that with a grain of rock salt!
That's how the FB ones work. But when you have the blade open you can see the hole. I don't see that on this one. So I figured it must work differently. The only thing I can think, is that perhaps there is a hole, but it is not visible, but hidden below the bolster rather than where you can't see it?

Get some kits from knifekits.com
I don't really see anything there of this style, or at least not sure if they are of this style. I see the little button lock ones, and the flipper assists. Are you trying to make me "work for it" and find my own answer, or is suggesting knifekits.com just a pat answer to when someone asks how something works? (Just curious)

I don't really see anything there of this style, or at least not sure if they are of this style. I see the little button lock ones, and the flipper assists. Are you trying to make me "work for it" and find my own answer, or is suggesting knifekits.com just a pat answer to when someone asks how something works? (Just curious)
You answered your own question mate lol. I would have to guess that there is a pivot just under the mild steel bolster also. But if the spring doesn't work, it's just a folder that you can get charged for carrying in some states. *Could*. I didn't say 'would', well, more likely in 2022.

Edit: Cool knife.

Back