How does the Gov't measure blade length?

Short answer may be, "any way they want to"!! I did a search on the subject and I am not sure from what I am reading that there is any set standard and may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction! I think most states set there own standards and that must be adhered to by the local cities of that state. Here are some reads on the subject! Here is another piece of info that I was able to find! For knife law, the only federal law is the Switchblade Knife Act of 1958 as well ...

Information on the blue highlighted info can be found within the last link I posted!

https://www.akti.org/resources/akti-protocol-for-measuring-knife-blade-length/

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

This link gives state to state laws, just enter your state!

That's my findings also. Do you think safest rule of thumb would be where the handle starts?
Yes. I did some research while making my last knife. The customer travels all over the country for work and I wanted him to be able to use it anywhere. There are so many different knife laws that it would have been a waste of his money if I made a 2" blade. So I went with 3" to the handle.
Some laws say cutting edge? So do they measure the curve? That could make 3" blade 3-3/8" depend on the shape. I think knife laws are more complicated than gun laws.

IMHO, make a knife that works for customer. If a fixed blade, have a sheath or saya. If a folder, a small box. Knife goes in suitcase or backpack or tool box or tacklebox or briefcase and stays there until time to use. Triple check where you are going and make sure knife is locked away in vehicle if you have to go into a "No Knife" zone. Knife phobia has gone beyond all reason. saw a man refused entrance to local social security office because he was carrying nail clippers that had a small blade included. I could not take home kitchen knives from granddaughter's cooking class to sharpen because of the mountain of paperwork and permissions that had to be obtained. All local government buildings and even some hospitals have metal detectors and all knives are prohibited.

Last edited:
Small shop if I am looking at this for sale. I put it this way, blade is 3"from tip to end of cutting edge, blade is 3 and 3/8" from tip to handle!!!

That is the way I say it and the rest is up to the customer!! This lets the customer know what he/she is up against! Measuring it in that manner will work for a folder or fixed blade!! Of course I alway have a statement saying, you as the customer are responsible for knowing all knife laws in your state!!

I had one guy call me and said the knife I made for him was going to Montana on a hunt! Was it legal. I told him I didn't know off the top of my head but to give me a couple of hours. I looked up the laws for Montana and it was indeed legal. That is something the customer needs to think about when they order a particular knife. Because each state has it's own laws on knives and what you carry in your state may not be legal in another state!!!!!

I watched a game warden show here a while back and I think they may have been in Colorado but not sure. Anyway the warden caught them in a blatant lie and caught them with illegal game. Kind of made him mad so began to see how many violations he could get them on. And when he was looking he came across a knife and asked the guy if it was his and of course he says yes. That is another violation for being over the legal limit for a fixed blade. Just goes to show," never pee in your own mess kit"!!! Or Johnny law's for that matter!! Ha Ha!!!

Last edited:
It would be nice if you could find some cases that went to court where it was up to the individual who purchases the knife to know local laws. It has been proven time and again with firearms. I just couldn't find a case where it pertained to knives. I have been looking at having business cards made up. I was going to add the general "my knives are for cutting not prying or hammering with, type stuff." But after seeing all the different types of laws on knives, I was thinking about adding "it is up to the consumer to know their own state laws."

Because each state has it's own laws on knives and what you carry in your state may not be legal in another state!!!!!!

it is not just the state. what is legal here in the county outside city limits maybe ok in city C but illegal in city R. state of NC is 4 1/2" but city of Raleigh is 3". if you are fishing or hunting legally, I don't think any LE is going to bother you while cleaning fish or game.

Several years ago Knife Rights posted that the blade length was from the tip of the blade to the bolster, including any unsharpened recaso.

This info was contained in the first link, https://www.akti.org/resources/akti-protocol-for-measuring-knife-blade-length/ that I posted. However all they can do is make this a recomendation!! Notice the area below I highlighted in blue below!! The state makes laws under Federal guidelines, and as Scott noted, a city within that state can write more strengent laws as long as they follow Federal and State regulations!

All I was talking about when the customer gets a knife I usually let them know the length of the sharpened blade is for example 3" and the overall length is 3 3/8". Knowing what the law says, in your particular area falls squarely on the customer sholders. I include the link to the knife laws in your state!
From the first link I posted:

AKTI Protocol for Measuring Knife Blade Length

Where a statute, regulation or ordinance refers to knife blade length, the measurement shall be the straight line extending from the tip of the blade to the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle.

(Approved effective January 1, 2005.)

Comments
8-300x66.jpg

Folding
a. The purpose of this protocol is to provide a uniform standard or method for determining the blade length of any type of knife and for the purpose of applying laws, ordinances or regulations establishing a maximum blade length. This protocol is not intended to replace or modify any specification and/or standard, such as military specifications or other standards which may be imposed by contract.

b. Manufacturers, makers and other entities engaged in the commerce of knives are encouraged to utilize the standard in product descriptions and advertising.

9-300x81.jpg

Open Assist
c. Law enforcement at the state, local and federal levels, as well as state’s attorneys or prosecuting attorneys, are encouraged to observe this protocol. Individuals should note that while law enforcement officials are encouraged to utilize this protocol, they are not compelled to do so. AKTI disclaims any responsibility arising from or in any way deriving from the application or misapplication of this protocol.

10-300x71.jpg

Straight Fixed
d. It is intended that the measurement will be made by individuals possessing ordinary, readily available measuring tools, such as a common ruler. AKTI recommends that measurements should be expressed in inches and l/8″ increments. Attempts to determine measurements to a degree of accuracy greater than l/8″ are considered impractical. The measurement should be the shortest straight line extending from the tip of the blade to the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle and should be rounded down to the nearest whole l/8″ increment. AKTI recommends that law enforcement allow a tolerance of l/8″. Individuals are cautioned that this tolerance is a recommendation which law enforcement personnel and prosecuting officials are not required to observe.

11-300x87.jpg

Skeleton
e. There is considerable variation in the design and construction of knives, knife blades and handles. Where there is reasonable confusion as to either the tip of the blade or the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle, AKTI recommends that the measurement which will yield the shortest dimension be utilized, unless the same would result in an absurd or obviously impractical result.

f. The drawings are for illustrative purposes only and are intended to demonstrate application of the measuring protocol as to typical folding and fixed-blade knives. These drawings may not be to scale.

Download this information as a printable handout (PDF) from AKTI.

(Drawings provided by Buck Knives and are the property of AKTI.)

then to totally muck things up, in NC a bowie knife is on the list of prohibited weapons, whatever a bowie knife is.

In other words without a given defination they have the right to rule anything they want to as a Bowie. ...............Well no officer, "that is not a Bowie, its a Zombie Killer"! LOL

In other words without a given defination they have the right to rule anything they want to as a Bowie. ...............Well no officer, "that is not a Bowie, its a Zombie Killer"! LOL
or "I was on my way to Golden Corral for a steak and you know how tough their steaks are." Unfortunately, a lot depends on your age, your skin color, and what you are doing. As a 65 yo bearded white male wearing a military ball cap, I get treated a little different than the darker skinned 19 yo wearing baggy pants with his underwear showing.

To my knowledge, Connecticut is the only state with a "cutting edge" length statute.

All other length statutes refer to "blade length". Some statutes specify verbage along the lines of AKTI's recommendation.

Other states, such as Texas, don't have a measurement method delineated in law, but one has been established in case law that is the same as AKTI's.

Balkanized juridictional law is why a state level pre-emption law is necessary. As an example, in certain areas of Massachusetts, one cane be legal on one side of the street and be illegal on the other due to town laws being different.

Knife Rights is working to change that. They have succeeded in getting pre-emption laws passed in multiple states, have gotten switchblade laws rescinded in multiple states (2 or 3 this year alone), gotten length limits increased in Georgia and almost completely eliminated in Texas this year, and are working in DC to get the Federal Switchblade Act repealed.

I encourage everyone I meet to join as membership fees are their major source of income for Doug and Todd to travel to whereever the next battle is.

Back