How do you ship your knives????

My sales this far have been within Canada ,however I now have U.S and international orders. I have been researching as to the proper procedures required to ship to the U.S and internationally but I cannot find shipping methods I feel confident with. I am concerned the knives may be confiscated by customs . I also understand that some people request the pivot pin to be tightened on folders so that it does not appear as a gravity folder. I would like to know how others ship their knives. Help would be really appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Hello, I have shipped knives all over the globe. from Canada to Sweden and Germany to Australia. etc..etc..
And have almost exclusively used USPS priority shipping.
On the customs form, where they ask what you are shipping I normally add the word tool.. like Kitchen tool. or camping tool. hunting tool. etc. etc. for folders I write pocket knife.. or camp tool.
Also have used GHL once to ship to Sweden. They picked it up from my house and shipped and delivered in 3 days! Thats CRAZY fast!
ALL the knives I have sent made it to the final destination.. there have been a couple that were tied up in customs for extra time.. but they always were forwarded to the buyer. after the customs guys got done playing around with them. :)

I hope this helps.
Randy

Shipping within the US, I most often use Priority Mail, insured, with delivery confirmation. The real trick is to utilize a packaging method that will keep the knife/knives safe. For my EBKs, a small priority mailing box is the answer. For most every other knife, they get "tight packed" inside a 4" piece of PVC pipe.

Sounds like your mostly looking for information concerning international shipping.....that's where things get "sticky". Not only do you have to worry about customs, tariffs, etc., but for most shipping methods, once a package crosses international boundaries, insurance and tracking become null and void.

When shipping internationally, I try to CLEARLY make the client aware of the issues that could arise. This includes making the client aware that ALL responsibility lies with them. Tracking will not work, and insurance will not pay in most cases concerning international shipping. I suppose I should clarify, that you CAN get insurance/tracking to work internationally, but most clients are not willing to pay the costs. I once shipped a high end bowie to England via Fed-X......by the time the shipping, insurance, and tracking were totaled, it came to just under $400...just for shipping.
After several international clients freaked out at quoted shipping costs, I have chosen to use USPS Priority Mail International. The client assumes all responsibility if the package it lost, damaged, stolen, or confiscated by customs. The client is also responsible for any tariffs, taxes, or other costs associated with the package. Now, you're going to have people ask you to call the contents a lot of different things on a customs form, and they are also going to ask you to "mark the value at $XX". What you do there is up to you, but in the US, it is a federal crime to lie on a customs form.....take that for what it's worth. It's really difficult to fill out a customs form as a "camp tool", list the contents value at $20, then insure the package for $500.....red flags everywhere.

I use Cardbord to cover the Entire knife. Cover the Blade First. Then put another piece over the Handle. Tape the seam together.
First class is the USPS BEST- Cheapest way. Gets there about the Same as Priority for 1/2 the Money

Back