How do you make your "Flats" ??

Ed,Frank, do y'all use grease to lube your disk while grinding? I do and it realy helps keep the blade cool. I use it for all grits above 400.

Calvin..... at one time I tried it, and wasn't happy with how it worked for me... since then its just the "lube" of the water from the "dip" bucket I keep hanging beside the disc grinder. As long as the disc is turning slowly (generally 20% or less for me), the water works well.

I have my disk in the horizontal position, and i wear the "disk apron"...a filthy, muddy apron from grinding on the disk, because i use spraying windex on the paper.
It does keep the piece cool better than grease/oil, and i have less rust issues than with plain water.
I couldn't concieve using higher grits without coolant on the disk, but combining windex (or water) and low rpm yuo can work for a good while before the next spray.

I am in the process of ordering the Nielsen Magnetic setup, 1 flat plate and 3 beveled plates

thanks everyone for the info

steve

WD40 works great on the disc as well. Like Stezann says... plan to get dirty! Since I can never decide exactly which orientation "horizontal / vertical" refers to for a disc.... (If the disc is vertical, the motor is mounted horizontally, and vice versa). I call mine horizontal because the motor is mounted on its base plate and the disc then looks like a clock. Anyhoo... even though my disc is not flat like a record player, it still slings oil/water all over my arms and my face shield. I like this orientation because I can look down on the work piece to see what is happening and how flat the piece is getting.

What I have is a gravity feed with an adjustable flow valve. I use just water . Yes, it can be messy but I never notice that until I'm finished doing whatever.
Frank

Back