How do you control(and measure) depth when countersinking?

Daniel Rohde

The title pretty much says the question. So when I'm countersinging somthing(say knife scales that I'm using for removable scales on a knife, or screws on a folder, or making a pocket for the bearings on a flipper...etc...!!) How can I control how deep I go? and How should I measure it...accurately...??

THis is a question I have had for a while and I haven't really found a answer yet and would like an answer. How do you do it in your shop?

Thanks Guys!

Daniel Rohde

My drill press has a depth stop comprised of a couple of set nuts on the side that stop the spindle at a set distance. I'm not sure what your equipment has, but I suspect you will have something similar. I usually use some shims or something to gauge where the bottom of the countersink hole will be and set my depth stop there. I have made a couple jigs out of some titanium scraps that I use to set the depth of concealed screws and for countersinking screw heads in bolsters and scales.

I pretty much do as Brandant says. I've got 3 or 4 drill presses of various sizes and quality and the depth stops on all but one of them stinks. When I'm trying to be precise, I use my milling machine. It has the thumb wheels that are infinitely adjustable and very precise. I usually don't try to get it dead on right at first, I take a few test cuts, adjusting in micro steps until I get it where I want it and then lock the spindle for the rest of the holes.

I built my own depth stop for one of my drill presses and also mounted a dial indicator so I can counter bore all holes the same. I'll try to remember to take dome photos of it this afternoon and show y'all.

Couple of photos

This drill press didn't have a stop so I built one for it. I use the stop mainly for counter boring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 58
You can grab a cheapo quill dro which is basically a mount and a caliper. With the spindle off of course, touch off wherever you want to zero from, zero dro. Move to desired cb depth, zero dro. Then set your depth stop at or very close that zero (only you know your machine tool and how it responds to pressure). Then go to town. If you need to be crazy accurate the dial indicator method should yield better results. Check work with a depth mic. Have a beer and a smile

Must be said, tram that puppy first though. Other wise depth wont mean anyrhing as one side will be low and one side will be high.

Back