How do yoiu test your blades

BD Blades

I had another post that I got a lot of good information from, and it got me to thinking. In my quest to make the best knife I can I do an edge flex, cut rope and depending on the size of the knife, chop pine 2x4. I am new and get a few good results and a few poor results. The problem is I don't really know what to shoot for. Can you guys give me some of your test methods/mediums and what results you get. I usually make forged 5160 and 52100 blades with a high flat grind. I know edge geometry, size, thickness and so all play a role and there are many variables. But a brief description of the blade and results would give me something to shoot for.

I don't know if what I am about to write will answer your question(s), but I'll bullet some of the the things I do:

-The rope test for me is a good way to back up what you thought your HT was. I have a kiln & Rockwell tester, but use the rope test ocassionally to verify my HT results. I also used the rope cutting test as a way to develop/verify my recipes. I buy 1/2" manilla rope from Harbor Freight. I don't think you have to buy any certain rope, but buy enough/make sure it is re-obtainable to have a constant with your testing. Not all 1/2" manilla rope is the same.
-If you HT with a torch or a forge and aren't getting consistant results (I went through that, too. The kiln is much more consistant), I would recommend having a blade done by someone who can do a good HT & also Rockwell it for you. Once you know you have a good HT'd blade, then you can perform your series of tests (rope, 2x4 chop, edge flex, etc.) with it and come up with numbers that you know you should reach with your HT'ment. This blade should stay in your shop for future comparisons.

Don't know if this is what you were after, but...

Thanks Scherar that is a great idea. Seems so obvious now, but I will have on HTd by someone or some company that knows what they are doing. I usually get 3/4 or 5/8" rope from lowes about 10' at a time. How many cuts on 3/4" rope is considered good for say a 3 1/2" high flat ground blade? I know there are many variables.

Thanks again for the info.

I really don't know with that kind of rope. With the 1/2" rope I use, I can usually obtain at least 200 cuts. I could probably get more, but it gets monotonous and wears a blister. Like I said, I use it for another assurance test & after you know what your HT should be, it's another way of knowing if anything went wrong, even after Rockwell'n the blade. My knives are hunter types, 3"-4" blades and flat ground.

www.scherarknives.com

Last edited:
Back