How do I keep from losing any of the "good stuff"?

KentuckyFisherman

Pre-cut scales are typically 6", right? But sometimes I have scales where the real knockout figure is at either end, with plainer grain in the middle, and I only need maybe 4 1/2" for the handle.

Take these scales, for example:

scales.JPG

I've put scales on 10-12 knives now, mostly medium-size drop-point skinners. So far, I let a dilemma like I'm posing just sort of eat at me until I finally force myself to make a decision. What I'm wondering is this: Since the plain grain is in the middle, could I conceivably cut out say an inch in the middle, glue the ends back together and proceed as if each side was just one piece of wood. That would let me retain both beautiful ends.

Am I crazy, or do some of you really experienced guys run into this dilemma? Is there a solution I'm just not seeing? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

It's a legitimate dilemma. Yes, you can do it, but it's probably going to look funky if you don't splice the ends together with something interesting in between instead of simply having a butted joint as a visible seam.

For example, cut on a bias (horizontal) and put some interesting spacer material in between so that there isn't just some odd visible seam in the middle of the handle. Or cut straight but use a different block of material or a series of spacers and liners. Honestly, I think that's the most common reason you see multi-piece handles. It's a way to use the most interesting pieces of a material.

Please ignore the unfortunate knot by the front pin. It wasn't that ugly in real life. The picture makes it look huge when in reality it's about 2mm wide. And what the heck is that on the toe of the butt? Trust me, this knife didn't go out to a customer looking like this.

15578437_1372122176187687_7842652060519420942_n_1372122176187687.jpg

Excellent tip, John, and illustrated to boot. I kind of thought that simply removing a section and rejoining the ends with a square butt joint would draw attention to itself and detract from the pretty ends, so you've confirmed that. I like your suggestion. Let's see if folks come up with any other options. Thanks!

Back