Horizontal Sheath Plans

Dan Dick

Was wondering if anyone has some knowledge/pictures/plans they'd like to share in making a horizontal draw sheath from leather?? If so I'd be very grateful, I've only made drop pouch type sheaths to date.

Thanks, Dan. :confused:

One of our fellow members had a similar issue about a year ago when I ordered a knife from him and requested a horizontal sheath for it. I did a quick sketch in my paint program and e-mailed to him. When I get to my pc in a few mintes I'll see if I still have it. If not, I'll sketch up another one for you.

Dan, pictured here is a small horizontal sheath pattern. Once you have looked at it and perhaps made a copy, give me a call and I will walk you through it on the phone. All my contact information is below.

Paul

Attachments

• horizontal sheath.jpg
    horizontal sheath.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 124
Well, the sheath master chimed in and saved me from embarassing myself. In my defense though, my sketch is very similar.

I designed a horiz sheath for my Trailmate.. It is now being used by Lone Wolf on the production versions. It is pretty simple and works well.
The trick seems to be building in a retaining device in the welt.

Attachments

• 000_0596.jpg
    000_0596.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 74
I designed a horiz sheath for my Trailmate.. It is now being used by Lone Wolf on the production versions. It is pretty simple and works well.
The trick seems to be building in a retaining device in the welt.

Care to explain in a little more detail what you meant by, "The trick seems to be building in a retaining device in the welt"?????????

Hopefully this will help!!

If you cut your welt like in the drawing, it will allow for the heel of the blade to slide down in front of it and help hold the knife in the sheath. Also, build the sheath so that the blade sits slightly tip-down, so that gravity can do it's thing. Lastly, wet-form the sheath so that the leather can fill in behind the back of the blade and it will perform much like Kydex does, keeping pressure against the back of the blade.

I don't claim to know much about leather work. In fact, there are probably a lot of guys around here that have forgotten more about leather work than I'll ever know.
The one thing I do know though, is that there have been hundreds of Trailmates sold and so far, none have had sheath retention issues...

Steve

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0015-2.jpg
    Scan_Pic0015-2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 94
Care to explain in a little more detail what you meant by, "The trick seems to be building in a retaining device in the welt"?????????

Its called a Loveless Cam, and its been done for quite some time. A method of locking a knife in its sheath by use of, for lack of a better word, a bump in the welt to hold the knife in place.

I know it wasn't meant as such (I hope), but the words come off as rather strong. Lets keep it light and polite folks.

Neither Dave nor I will tolerate strong behavior, it only leads to hurt feelings and retaliation. No matter where it was intended or not. We have been around long enough to recognize the signs before they escalate. Dont take it personal, its not, just a note to everyone.

:bud:

You guys are all awesome!! I'd like to thank everyone for their input and for the pictures, those really help!!

THANKS!!, Dan.

Back