Hollow grinding with a slotted plate

izafireman

I thought I had posted a thread regarding grinding hollow grinds with plates the other day but I don't they it must have loaded up, so if it has and I can't find it apologies for a possible repeat thread.

So I got a 10 inch wheel several months back and tried a few hollow grinds on it and if I am honest they weren't that bad first attempts. I also got a plate for doing hollow grinds that came with the grinder but its just a small plate with a slot. Now I know some will say just learn to hollow grind free hand but if I am honest I would like to learn how to grind with the plate also as it would likely speed up my process.

Now I have seen several versions of these plates such as the Travis Wuerzt doubler plate version and also versions with a bar/rest and top of the cut out which slides up and down the plate for the spine to rest in order to keep a reference point.

The issue I have is I am not exactly sure how to set the plate up. How do you decide the angle for example (I have a magnetic angle finder if that might help) , how do you keep your reference points in order to keep both sides of the knife the same and how do you know how high to grind....just grind to centre ?

I have looked for info on the net but nothing there really and also are there any decent plans for making a version which is better than just a plate.

Thanks in advance.

I've seen those plates and have always been interested in how they work. I'm afraid that I don't have any experience using them as I have always ground freehand, but I'm interested in understanding this process better. I hope someone will chime in who has used these before.

I thought I had posted a thread regarding grinding hollow grinds with plates the other day but I don't they it must have loaded up, so if it has and I can't find it apologies for a possible repeat thread.

So I got a 10 inch wheel several months back and tried a few hollow grinds on it and if I am honest they weren't that bad first attempts. I also got a plate for doing hollow grinds that came with the grinder but its just a small plate with a slot. Now I know some will say just learn to hollow grind free hand but if I am honest I would like to learn how to grind with the plate also as it would likely speed up my process.

Now I have seen several versions of these plates such as the Travis Wuerzt doubler plate version and also versions with a bar/rest and top of the cut out which slides up and down the plate for the spine to rest in order to keep a reference point.

The issue I have is I am not exactly sure how to set the plate up. How do you decide the angle for example (I have a magnetic angle finder if that might help) , how do you keep your reference points in order to keep both sides of the knife the same and how do you know how high to grind....just grind to centre ?

I have looked for info on the net but nothing there really and also are there any decent plans for making a version which is better than just a plate.

Thanks in advance.
Just in case you haven't seen this

Part 2

Thanks for the replies guys, yep that is the kind of set up I am talking about. I am sure some will say you should learn freehand....well I want to learn that too but f there is something that can speed up a process then I am interested for sure.

Since posting I have had a response from someone on another internet site who explained the process detail. He was even kind enough to send me his technical drawings/dimensions for his design of plate / jig.

He asked me not share his drawings anywhere as he told me someone asked for his help previously, they then betrayed his kindness and 'burned him' and started selling his design......These Weasels walks amongst so beware!

I shall though keep true to my word and make a copy of his design and see how I get on with it.

Back