Hobby Maker's First Damascus

Montucky

Prior to this knife I had used nothing but O-1 steel and I like it a lot, but after reading everything I could find about damascus I just had to try it once. It's not perfect but I have done much worse :biggrin: and I learned a lot. It was a lot of fun too. I think the maker's mark would have shown up better if it were just a little larger.

.155 Alabama Damascus
Ironwood scales

Thanks for looking,
Rick

PICT0009.jpgPICT0005.jpgPICT0001.jpgPICT0009.jpg

I'd say you nailed it, Rick! Looks like some very nice attention to detail and great choice of materials. Hobby or not, you're good at it.

WOW!! Very impressive!! Looks great to me! The handle looks really beautiful. Love the damascus. If I had to rate that knife from 1 to 10, I'd give it a 15! :)

Thanks Frank. I really appreciate that. I've had a lot of good advice from some excellent knifemakers and all around nice guys. This particular knife is influenced a lot by Squawsach and Art summers. I hope they don't mind me doing a little name dropping.:biggrin: I'll give them credit for anything right about this one and I'll take the blame for the bad.

Thank you for the kind words,
Rick

Thanks you too Sicilian. you're very kind.

Looks great Rick.
I have used a BUNCH of Brads Damascus over the years.
Never buff it before you etch it , seems like it makes it look muddy.
I found some small oval stickers , a hair bigger than my logo. I put my logo on the blade , then cover with the sticker , then etch , then take the sticker off. Presto....a logo you can see on Damascus.
Keep up the good work

Dwane

+1 on the stickers, Dwane. I use an exacto knife and electrical tape to cut out an oblong. I've been meaning to find a source of similar pre-made, or get a die to cut them.

Great looking knife! In my opinion you nailed it!
You can use fingernail polish as a resist. Paint it on the area you do not want etched, etch the blade, clean off the nail polish.

God Bless
Mike

Thanks for the kind words and the tips guys. I bought a billet big enough to make 2 blades just in case I crashed one. I will incorporate some of your tips while finishing it.
Thanks again for your help,
Rick

Back