Hiking Buddy

opaul

Just finished sanding the burlap micarta scales on this one. The only thing I don't like is the burlap threads give the illusion that the scales don't follow the plunge line, when in fact it does..................I didn't take this into account :(.

Last edited:
Some how I opened this expected to see a cute little puppy dog, and I got everything but the puppy dog. Hey I like it. You can do a lot with a knife that size and it is handy enough to throw in the pack or a pocket! Sheathed up of course, or might cut right thru the pocket and into,............other things! :)

I like it OP a very useful size and are you making that micarta or buying it?
Thanks Rick.
Right now I'm buying it but I'd like to make my own. The source I like to use only makes it in 1/4", and I really prefer to use 3/8" material.

I have a KMG grinder. I hear pros and cons about them but so far I don't have any complaints. I've had it about 10 months or so.
I think I am going with one as well, the rotary platen attachment is intriguing but I think I'll go with a standard platen for now, I'll also be holding off on the contact wheel

I think I am going with one as well, the rotary platen attachment is intriguing but I think I'll go with a standard platen for now, I'll also be holding off on the contact wheel
If you can swing it I’d get the contact wheel. I find it useful for getting good smooth edges. I’d recommend an extra tool arm and small wheel attachment when you can swing it. I need to pick up a few extra ‘smaller’ wheels myself.

If you can swing it I’d get the contact wheel. I find it useful for getting good smooth edges. I’d recommend an extra tool arm and small wheel attachment when you can swing it. I need to pick up a few extra ‘smaller’ wheels myself.
you're probably right, I am working this all on my "Play money" so funds are limited, unless I can manage to knock out 10-15 knives to sell to generate funds for tooling and abrasives...

fyi "Play Money" is the money that I should be spending to pay off my new truck but refuse to give up that little chunk of fun

I’m using the money I make from knives to purchase consumables . I’ve got along way to go before I pay off the grinder and kiln!
I’ve never really calculated how much in time and expenses it takes to make a blade.

I am running a tab on what I have invested, I look at the total then look in my shop and yell "WHERE'D MY MONEY GO?! it is staggering to see what that stuff ads up too, on a side note, if I get my act together I'll set up a "Business" and deduct it all from my Income tax.

My anvil alone was a large chunk of change, then figure Forge, drill press/mill, various grinders/sanders, files, sandpaper, glue, handle materials and hardware....blade steel has by far been the cheapest

Back