hey y'all, I like me some knives

johnnyyukon

I don't know when it happened, but I woke up one morning and I realized I was a "Knife Guy."

Which is kind of funny cuz I used to think that guys that said "Hey, wanna see my knife collection?" were freakin weirdos.

But I'm happy to say I love being in the freakin weirdo club.

I only buy the finest imported blades such as Ozark Trails brand knives. Rare, but I'm really tight with the sporting goods guy at Walmart.

So… Introduction… I was born in February during a new moon and a violent thunderstorm. During infancy…

J/K

I guess while I'm making a post perhaps some good Samaritan will direct me where to post a thread about some weird and frustrating issues sharpening my SOG SEAL Pup Elite. It's AUS-8 steel but I've determined that's not the issue. Anyway I could go on but I will save it.

Welcome! You will find a ton of helpful folks 'round here. What are the weird issues???
thanks! ha, i dunno, i guess you'd have to be a non-knife collector turned knife-collector to know.

Like before, I pictured some dude sharpening his knives, hanging upside down, blind folded. Or something.

I don't actually think it's weird, but coming from a somewhat liberal background....they just don't get it.

Same with carry conceal. For those that have never even held a gun, the idea is CRAZY MAN. But not really :)

I'm a little bit confused. Are you asking for help sharpening a knife?
Oh man, my bad. That's thanks to my liberal use of the word "weird." I shall cease and desist (for a while).

But yesssir, the knife (last post was talking about "weird" knife guys"), the SOG SEAL Pup Elite. Don't know if you're familiar, but let's see if I took some decent pics...

rSABojE.jpg

mb04gyQ.jpg

I was originally trying to get a pic of the bevel, but after reading some other threads and really just noticing it while trying to sharpen, where the swedge meets the secondary grind/bevel (forgive my terminology) really makes it stick out and so makes it very difficult to sharpen at a fine enough angle.

LOTs of guys have talked about this on the seal pup, most thinking it was the AUS-8 steel, a few guys understanding it's the damn thickness, but never found any good answers (I should probably call SOG).

I've tried just about everything, from my work sharp field sharpener, oval diamond rod, other sharpeners, and the worksharp belt sharpener. The last one seems to have good effect, but I'm cautious to use it cuz I've blunted the tip on several knives (that's another story). So yeah man, I really don't know, you can feel that protruding part of the grind touching the sharpening stone/diamond before the angle reaches around 20 degrees or a little less. worse towards the tip.

I kind of just realized what was going on today but still got no ideas (towards the hilt, i managed to get VERY sharp). But the tip is unacceptably ..uh..not sharp.

Yea next to the hilt- that's where all your hand leverage is and I used to have that happen when I was hand sharpening- do on grinder/buffer now, but if you are using stone and oil you're probably not taking off enough metal at same angle so keep losing your edge. You can buy a Lansky or Bubble Jig or just use more oil and keep your pressure/angles and same by eye and feel and it will get sharp. Better yet buy/build a blade grinder and you'll not regret it.

Second on the Lansky. I put a razor edge on the first knife that I finished!! Nice thing about this system is it takes a while to sharpen the knife you go slow and it gets sharp, bad thing about the system, it takes a while to sharpen the knife!!

Yea next to the hilt- that's where all your hand leverage is and I used to have that happen when I was hand sharpening- do on grinder/buffer now, but if you are using stone and oil you're probably not taking off enough metal at same angle so keep losing your edge. You can buy a Lansky or Bubble Jig or just use more oil and keep your pressure/angles and same by eye and feel and it will get sharp. Better yet buy/build a blade grinder and you'll not regret it.

So I called SOG today and talked to a dude and he said....(teaser rest at bottom, haha)

had to look up a bubble jig. ha, and that's a project! and I already have a bottomless pit of projects, but who knows?

you talking about the lanksy "deluxe(haha) sharpening system" ? like clamping the blade and using the rods for correct angles and always checking the blade is secure and......I HATE that thing, haha, sorry, took it back to Academy. But to each their own.

you're definitely right about stones. I don't really use them. After diamond, I just can't go back to stones.

I actually watched a like, 20 minute youtube vid on how to make your own blade grinder and the guy was very smart and thorough. Maybe some day, but for now I think I'll stick with this guy:

CDwc5NN.jpg

SOG guy was, of course, like, send it in! but i'm fundamentally opposed to that unless it's over my head (bad experience with benchmade morpho taking a month and a half for a simply touch up). But he said it's not meant to have an edge less than like 23 or something (23-26 was "ideal") which I thought was strange. And he said I could always grind down the, well, grind, which is like placing the entire face of the blade up against a grinder. uh-huh. Nope.

I guess cuz it's a "tactical" knife it's not really meant to be razor sharp, but if that was their logic, that's stupid.

Second on the Lansky. I put a razor edge on the first knife that I finished!! Nice thing about this system is it takes a while to sharpen the knife you go slow and it gets sharp, bad thing about the system, it takes a while to sharpen the knife!!

Lansky Deluxe Sharpening System??? oh man, you have the patience of a Zen Master my friend :)

ha, but if that were the ONLY way.....hmmmm...I'd probably return the knife, gah, but it's like my favorite knife 2 months in a row!

So I called SOG today and talked to a dude and he said....(teaser rest at bottom, haha)

had to look up a bubble jig. ha, and that's a project! and I already have a bottomless pit of projects, but who knows?

you talking about the lanksy "deluxe(haha) sharpening system" ? like clamping the blade and using the rods for correct angles and always checking the blade is secure and......I HATE that thing, haha, sorry, took it back to Academy. But to each their own.

you're definitely right about stones. I don't really use them. After diamond, I just can't go back to stones.

I actually watched a like, 20 minute youtube vid on how to make your own blade grinder and the guy was very smart and thorough. Maybe some day, but for now I think I'll stick with this guy:

CDwc5NN.jpg

SOG guy was, of course, like, send it in! but i'm fundamentally opposed to that unless it's over my head (bad experience with benchmade morpho taking a month and a half for a simply touch up). But he said it's not meant to have an edge less than like 23 or something (23-26 was "ideal") which I thought was strange. And he said I could always grind down the, well, grind, which is like placing the entire face of the blade up against a grinder. uh-huh. Nope.

I guess cuz it's a "tactical" knife it's not really meant to be razor sharp, but if that was their logic, that's stupid.

Lansky Deluxe Sharpening System??? oh man, you have the patience of a Zen Master my friend :)

ha, but if that were the ONLY way.....hmmmm...I'd probably return the knife, gah, but it's like my favorite knife 2 months in a row!

Yup Lansky Deluxe! Yes it does take some time! I've also seen a paper wheel system called Razor Sharp (I've seen generic brands too)? It's 2, 8 or 10 inch wheels that you mount to a grinder apply a buffing compound and rip through the sharpening in seconds! The problem I see with this is if you mess up your knife is done! Guy on You Tube (Simple Little Life) did a video on the wheels.

Back