Hey how do u flat grind a knife

Sargeant1215

You see I'm getting my first 2x72 belt grinder and it's coming in 28 days and I need ur all help please give me any tips to learn how to use it plus I want to learn how to true up my knife on the face of my platen to get it ready for handles u know anything I need to know so I can do this right but above all else safely thank u all and god bless

good evening Stephen, and welcome to KD. trying to give you advise on using your new grinder over the web might be problematic. I grind totally different than a lot of my friends and trying to printout out how to do it would be a book size post :biggrin:. I'd suggest you get in contact with a fellow knife maker close to you and get a little hands on advise on grinding.

you might look into the local guild for someone that can help.

you said you have a new 2 x 72 coming, but didn't say what kind.

Erik

Last edited:
There are a couple of great tutorials on youtube that cover flat grinding. The couple that I can think of off hand are 3riverblades, gavko and Chris Williams from Wilmont grinders. I would also suggest adding in some info what kind of grinder you ordered. Is it variable speed? I also would add a ceramic platen. I used my platen just for a couple days without it, and was surprised at how quickly the steel platen was wearing away in spots.

I don't have a lot of money in terms of options but any way it's a 1 horse power motor direct drive it is a phew ds grinder model for beginners it is 13 inches wide by 27 long i think any way yeah

Hello Steven,
Guys. You should hear this young man's enthusiasm! He called me one the phone and I don't think he took one breath the whole time asking me if I could help him etc, etc, etc, I am on the other side of the country but I wish we where a lot closer.

It was refreshing to hear such zeal from a newbie! Watch those videos that have been mentioned and get out there and sacrifice a bar of steel if you have to. Start with a simple small little EDC or Capeing knife like we talked about and think in your head what you want it to look like and relay that message to your hands. You want a Full Flat grind bevel on each side of Appox 10-12 degrees. Start there and adjust depending on height & thickness.

Post some pictures of the knives you made in the past that we talked about on the phone so we can see where you are at and try to help you.

I have that grinder! One of the best DVD sets I have is by Bill Wiggins which shows the complete process of making a drop point hunter step by step. I just got it recently. Also check the American Blacksmiths Society YouTube channel, there is all kinds of info on it.

Mount your grinder so your arms when bent to 90° from your elbows will place your steel in the center of the platen. Learn to move your body not your hands and arms. It is important to keep grinding plane flat. You can practice with mild steel but, you will not get it right until you practice with the real deal as Laurence has suggested.

I've had my pheer grinder for nearly 2 years, Jose makes a nice grinder for the money and his customer service is the best. He answers or reasonably returns all calls personally.

I grind sitting down cause I hate standing! lol Really I have had two back surgeries so you can see why I might hate standing all day at the grinder.
There are many ways to do this, Try the standing stance George suggested and if you need to sit I will tell you how I accomplish it.

That's who I got my grinder from Jose over at pheer grinders and it is the grinder that was 1075.00 it was the beginner grinder plus when u get done with that DVD could I see it please if u done mind

Guys god bless u all this is really what I want to do with my life is to become a full time knife maker I will climb any mountain swim a cross any ocean and there is no valley wide enough to keep me from my goal I am going to do this I just wish I had someone I could learn more from I can do this as long as I have The Lord by my side

Check the videos out on the Bubble Jig web site, this little tool will cut your learning curve by a factor of 10.

DSC02044.JPG

Check the videos out on the Bubble Jig web site, this little tool will cut your learning curve by a factor of 10.

DSC02044.JPG

I have no ties with Fred, but I did purchase a bubble jig from him. I can't express how much I like his system. I ground out a few blades with not very good results without it, now using his system I've had very good results. There is still a learning curve to using his jig, but it does work very well. In the cost of knife making, this thing pays for itself quickly.

Back