Here's some I've been working on for a little while

Mark Knapp

Dealer - Purveyor
kelly%203-X3.jpg

DSCF0503-X3.jpg

I could probably spend a few hours of prying you with whiskey about mokume alone....
I bought the mokume through Jantz supply. It's three color, brass, nickle silver and copper. I etched the mokume to give it some contour. When you etch the mokume with the damascus in there with it, some of the copper transfers to the damascus. It's pretty cool.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I bought the mokume through Jantz supply. It's three color, brass, nickle silver and copper. I etched the mokume to give it some contour. When you etch the mokume with the damascus in there with it, some of the copper transfers to the damascus. It's pretty cool.

So, you etched the mokume and Damascus after it was assembled? (without scales, I assume :) )

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

So, you etched the mokume and Damascus after it was assembled? (without scales, I assume :) )

No, the mokume frames and the blades were etched together in an un-assembled state. All of the bearing surfaces like pin hols, screw threads and bushing surfaces were masked first, with finger nail polish. There's a lot of stuff in there that you don't want to etch. Then you need to get all of the etchant off. You wouldn't be able to do that on an assembled knife.

Mark - If I counted correctly I see 28 knives is the big picture. You indicated it was a 50 knife order. If you do not mind me asking - how long did it take you to make 50 knives. It would take me years to accomplish something this big. Just asking because I cannot fathom ever finishing up something like this…

No, the mokume frames and the blades were etched together in an un-assembled state. All of the bearing surfaces like pin hols, screw threads and bushing surfaces were masked first, with finger nail polish. There's a lot of stuff in there that you don't want to etch. Then you need to get all of the etchant off. You wouldn't be able to do that on an assembled knife.
That makes sense. I guess I didn't think that through. LOL

Gotcha, They do have reasonably priced mokume. I needed something thicker for guards on a Bowie I'm making. Mokume is tricky when you try to get brass into the "mix" since it melts before the copper/nickel.

Gotcha, They do have reasonably priced mokume. I needed something thicker for guards on a Bowie I'm making. Mokume is tricky when you try to get brass into the "mix" since it melts before the copper/nickel.
How are you heating it? Maybe try heating it in an HT oven so you can get to the appropriate temp without overshooting.

Mark - If I counted correctly I see 28 knives is the big picture. You indicated it was a 50 knife order. If you do not mind me asking - how long did it take you to make 50 knives. It would take me years to accomplish something this big. Just asking because I cannot fathom ever finishing up something like this…
I don't mind you asking at all. I had an order for fifty, for the one customer. Since I was making the fifty for him, I decided to make more to sell to individuals, to take advantage of economy of scale. I decided to make 40 in mokume and 50 with damascus frames. I started working on them two years ago. I'm working on them assembly line fashion as apposed to one at a time, so they are all progressing together. These 28 are the first ones to make it to the final stages.

I have a CNC mill which makes it all a lot easier once you have the design and the programs fine tuned.

They have it in a few different configurations, and, they will special order any size you like. Just give them a call.

How are you heating it? Maybe try heating it in an HT oven so you can get to the appropriate temp without overshooting.

I almost always buy my mokume although, I have made it. I almost always make my own damascus but on this order, I bought it made since it is such a big run.

When I make my own mokume I heat it in the forge till it just starts "flashing" then I squish it.

I don't mind you asking at all. I had an order for fifty, for the one customer. Since I was making the fifty for him, I decided to make more to sell to individuals, to take advantage of economy of scale. I decided to make 40 in mokume and 50 with damascus frames. I started working on them two years ago. I'm working on them assembly line fashion as apposed to one at a time, so they are all progressing together. These 28 are the first ones to make it to the final stages.

I have a CNC mill which makes it all a lot easier once you have the design and the programs fine tuned.
Wow! Two years to complete a single order. That seems amazing to me. Not many makers would take that on, let alone finish. I am impressed.

So does that mean you have some for sale? If so, where could one find them?

Back