Here ya go Kevin

Try for Alex Steele's 1000 layer count. No seriously, don't bother. I'd love to be able to produce forge welded blades that look like the one you showed in your first picture. Dat dere's plumb purdy!

Well,,,, Unless I start twitching this is it. In the morning I might change my mind. I've lost to much metal. I'll slice it up and turn it 90°. Then the top will be the sides. Then to think about what to make with it.

Attachments

• 20190629_200852.jpg
    20190629_200852.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 12
I'll draw it out and let it cool. Then slice it up. Put it all back together 90° out. Then draw it out till it looks like a knife. Getting there!

How many times have you forge welded that billet? Not layers, but how many times have you set welds? What percentage of steel volume do you estimate you have lost?

I think Gliden07 was close. I have 5 right now. If I get time to slice it up there will be one more tonight for a total of 6.

It's been awhile since i've been in the shop. It's just been a very busy time. Never let it be said I can't screw up with the best of them. I have a little rework to do!!! lol,,,, This is just cleaning up after the first weld. Grinding the weld off.

Attachments

• 20190720_201014.jpg
    20190720_201014.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Here I am patting myself on the back for simple San Mai and my simple lower layer Damascus and you come along with that fancy stuff to make me realize how simple my stuff is. That is looking GREAT!!! I am in total agreement with earlier posts about low layers - seems to stand out more. Feather pattern is one where higher layers seem to be required.

GREAT job and looks really good. I thought when you only had 4 or 5 welds the pattern looked really good.

Keven your knives look great. I'm just playing. I think I did 5 layers. From what I understand it will change a lot when I pound it out. It won't be so busy looking. This is my 2nd "W" pattern. I have a lot to learn. lol,,,

Like when I get a list of honey do's don't put 2 pieces down on the trailer fender and forget you did it until everything is done. o_O
I'll add the two pieces into the billet tonight. It will be a easy fix. I knew when I started if I wanted a larger knife I would have to make two billet. I'm hoping for a small hunter this time.

Well,,,,,
It could have turned out better. The two pieces I forgot did not forge together as well as I expected. I think 5 folded is maybe a little much. Next time 4. It's all good. Once again. Nothing ventured nothing gained. That's how you learn. Play time!!! :)

Attachments

• 20190728_212556.jpg
    20190728_212556.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190728_212543.jpg
    20190728_212543.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 10
Back