Help finding small ammount of black thread/cord

Winterbear

So I made a small dagger with a ebony handle and want to make a black boot sheath with a handforged clip on it but all I have is white waxed thread/cord and really want black. I am having trouble finding any suppliers that sell small spools of dyed /colored threads I don't need a huge ammount right now. Any ideas or anyone want to sell or trade me enought to sew a sheath ?
thanks guys
Chris

well jees there it is I swear I looked and didn't see any 25 yd spools on their site or a couple others I looked at. Not much info on weights ect I may check the semi local craft stores(8 more miles from work) too they may have it as I am 80 miles from tandy.
chris

Check a local shoe shop. They just might have some and you could probably buy s few feet for next to nothing.

Just a thought.

Carey

Suggestion - get a pound of unwaxed Barbour's Linen thread in 5 cord and that way you can dye the amount needed whatever color you want with the same leather dye as you use to dye your goods. Dye thread, let dry, wax thread, and sew - et voila and all done..........
get the Barbours here.........http://campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=linen
While the intial cost may seem high, it is in fact MUCH less costly per foot than the small, pre-waxed rolls..........plus buying unwaxed/undyed thread this way simplifies things.........

Last edited:
Ccraft, Chuck and Carey , thank you all for the responces. I will most likely buy the undyed thread in the future this seems the most logical to me. For this sheath mom came through, never underestimate the crafty mother and what she may have stashed away. I now have in my posession a circa 1960s (on a wood spool) 5 ply black linen heavy thread that will wok perfect for this project only down side is I have to give the remainder back after I am done :)
Thanks all
Chris

Back