Hello KnifeDogs

CarpScot

I've been a member here for a little while but have yet to introduce myself. :eek:

I've been buying custom users for around three years and have been hoping to get into making my own on a hobbyist level for the last couple. I had started saving for my own equipment but was still a long way off when I was lucky enough to win the Ed Caffrey benefit raffle for the KMG. 2thumbs In the months since I've purchased a portaband, a boat load of belts, and an array of other supplies. I ended up rough grinding about twenty five blades of various sizes and of those twenty five blades fifteen were decent enough to send to Brad at Peters' Heat Treating for hardening. The knife below is my first try at finishing off one of those blades.

When I originally profiled this one the blade was a couple of inches longer but I screwed up the grind at the tip and had to shorten it. I was going to throw it away but decided that it would be good experience to finish it up so sent it to Peters' along with the others. I put a scotchbrite finish on the blade and for the handle I used some stabilized redwood burl that was harvested my my uncle. It has black G10 liners and stainless hardware. The steel is 1/8" A2 and is between 57-59 rc. The blade is 4 1/2 " and the overall is 9 1/2". I'm pretty happy with it considering that it is my first, but I know that I still have a really long way to go.

My heartfelt thanks to Rob Frink for donating the KMG. I'd still be a long way from grinding my own knives without your generosity. My thanks go out to Tracy and and Brad at Peters' as well.

FirstKnife1.jpg

FirstKnife2.jpg

FirstKnife4.jpg

FirstKnife3.jpg

Last edited:
I neglected to include some pictures.

My grinding area. I'd been saving a small area of my wood shop open, so I had a perfect place for the grinder. I just wheel that cart out of the way.
Shop2.jpg

My KMG.
Shop4.jpg

Portaband
Shop5.jpg

The blades that I've yet to finish. Imagine my surprise when I got them back from heat treat and they were blue. :eek:
Shop6.jpg

My six year old pup Lilah behind the house and in the shop.
Lilah1.jpg

Lilah-1.jpg

Great post - Welcome to Knife Dogs.

Love the Dog. - 2thumbs

The knife is nice and it looks like you like doing it, so I think you will do good . - 2thumbs

Look forward to seeing more.

Todd

Back