Hello from WYO.

Dear Pieter,

As a young man I di a lot of hunting with a bow. As with most impatient young men I was not patieny enough to build the necessary skills.

Growing up here in Wyoming, hunting was a way to make sure there was food through the winter.

A few years ago I went to South Carolina to take a trophy board hawg with a knife. I took one huge old boar, and one smaller "cull" that was a fiesty orange coored boar that dang near killed the catch dog before I could do my work.

Since then Hunting with a firearm, or even a bow has sort of changed for me.

A knife is more efficient, more humane, and IMHO causes the nearest thing to instantaneous death possible. (With the exception og brain or neck shots.)

FOr any maker or enthusiast who has not tried this amazing sport, it will change your thoughts on hunting.

Great to see you here on KD. I'm a fairly new member but I really enjoy visiting this site, great folks and super postings for knifeknuts. I'm here in wonderful Rawlins and it seems that Winter is approaching fast...What happened to Summer...? I lived in Sheridan for a little 15 years and there I met my wife, a Cody gal. We've been in Southwest Wyoming for a little over 9 years and miss the Big Horns!
Anyhow...Go Pokes and Let 'er Buck!!
Mark

Hey Pieter,

I learned about hawg hunting way back in the nearly 1980's when Larry Harley was in the Wall Street Journal....talking aobut the sport and his knives.

Like all of us when we see other people doing "extreme" stuff, I wondered if I had the hmmm...(tryiing to remeber family content) can I say "stones" .

Anyway, there's a long story here, but I ended up going down south and my wife took a hawg, and then I took two.

ON the other side, I realized that is was one of those things that changed me forever, and it changed my ideas about big knives, and ethical hunting,.

I would encourage ANYBODY who has an interest to do this SOON as it is truly a dying sport in our country.

Back