Hello from wild wonderful west virginia.

doomtooth

Hello everyone out there. I am a single father of three and usaf veteran from good ole west virginia. I recently got into knife making because of my love of everything steel. Hopefully I will begin my apprenticeship next month with a local knife maker. As of now I am still trying to get better equipment lined out and work a budget so i can purchase steel every month. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Here are some current projects.
WIN_20151019_135614.jpgWIN_20151019_135420.jpgWIN_20151019_135519.jpg

The big chopper is 17 1/2 inch oal and the little fellas are 9 1/2 inch oal. All three are 0-1 tool steel.

Welcome! This is a great forum with great experts and advice. Only tip or advice I can think of is to start small. Learning to grind takes a couple blades (or 20), so I'd hold off on the 18" big hoss blades for a little while. Finish a couple smaller ones at first to get the hang of it. Be sure to share pics!

Winter seems intent to set in early this year so I guess I will be breaking out the kerosine heaters to keep ye ole shop warm.

I was out of metal to work and bored so I turned my attentions to my chair :biggrin:. No decent furniture was damaged in the taking of those pictures though.

Back