Hello from the cheesehead state

Hey guys and gals,
To say I'm new to knife making would be an understatement, as I have yet to put a tool to a piece of steel. I've always enjoyed picking up a new knife or two, but just recently had the desire to try my hand at it. I'll say it's rather intimidating trying to figure out just how to get started and with what tools/materials. I welcome anyone to offer hints, tips and advice to help get me going. I'm hopefully someone remembers what it was like to start from scratch and can help pave the way for a beginner. Thanks in advance and see around the forum.
-Matt O

Hey Matt! Welcome to the forum!

I am also very new at this. I just finished my third blade and let me tell you, this is one addictive hobby! I have started with very little tools, but have been able to get by. I hand file all my bevels because I don't have a belt grinder. I also have a homemade forge made from a 4" steel pipe, haha.

There seem to be a lot of helpful threads on this site, and it seems like most members here are willing to help new guys like us with wisdom and advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Matt, and welcome to the dog pound. You'll find lots of good info here, and really great folks willing to help out. Where in WI are you located?
Jim

Hey Jim,
Thanks, I'm anxious to try my hand at this craft. I look forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge on here.
I'm from the Capital area - Madison, but live south of there by 20 miles or so.

Welcome aboard,
Go to the top of this page and click on "knife making supplies" right under the KnifeDogs logo.
You won't find a better way to get started. They also have a youtube channel with lots of help.
Good luck, someone on this forum will always help you.
Steve

1SG-Retired I am from Stoughton wi welcome to the pound like Janik said you will find what you need and from great people tell beth we sent ya lol

@Franklin - I met you this past weekend at the Janesville show. I tried sending you a text to see if you were still willing to let me have a sit-in while you grind a bevel at your shop, but I'm not sure if you have texting on your phone. I'm around most evenings and would jump at the chance to see this process live. I'm getting a few tools assembled and hope to start making my garage messy real soon.

Welcome to the forum Top.
This hobby is addicticting as mentioned, you may end up collecting more good stuffs than you need from time to time. The positive is alot of guys will swap or sell excess handle woods or materials.
We all new an veteran will offer advice or tips for our experience.

Thanks Wall e. I need a few more items and I think I'll be ready to give it a go. My biggest struggle right now is deciding if I want to set up a little more of a fixed shop space, or keep it mobile - so I can do some inside work on bad weather days. I may even go with a third idea and roll it out into my "back 40" on really nice days.

1SG-Retired as long as you remember to be safe an chock your wheels mobile could be nice. I can tell you the bright days and shiny metal don't always mix.
I have my work space on my back porch for now.
if I may ask what was your MOS?

Back