Hello from Missouri

biglou73

I have been playing around with building knives for several years, looking at the quality of knives I see here, I have a very long ways to go.

welcome biglou! ( Big Lou?)

if you want to feel right at home, check out a thread called “My Very First Knife: Post Up!” I think every new maker should read that one. I promise you’ll get a kick out of it and you’ll feel a whole lot better about your knives!

here’s that thread:

welcome biglou! ( Big Lou?)

if you want to feel right at home, check out a thread called “My Very First Knife: Post Up!” I think every new maker should read that one. I promise you’ll get a kick out of it and you’ll feel a whole lot better about your knives!

here’s that thread:

I appreciate the thread you had me to read, the only thing is, now I feel worse. My first knife was a monstrosity, but I have improved since then thanks to an older gentleman that has passed on. My knives are very basic in looks, and that is intentional. I enjoy the artwork that I have seen on here but my style is very plain. Thank you for making me feel at home.

I appreciate the thread you had me to read, the only thing is, now I feel worse. My first knife was a monstrosity, but I have improved since then thanks to an older gentleman that has passed on. My knives are very basic in looks, and that is intentional. I enjoy the artwork that I have seen on here but my style is very plain. Thank you for making me feel at home.

All knives don’t need to be museum pieces. Old Hickory is still selling kitchen knives by the boatload and people love them more today than ever.

There is a customer base for every style of knife. Most makers don’t start making knives with sales in mind, but most of us end up realizing that sales pay for materials and new tools. The best thing about making knives is that it is not hard to sell a handmade knife. Every new maker worries about how they’re going to find customers when the reality is you’ll have more customers than you know what to do with. The biggest challenge is selling too cheap.

Back