Hello from Michigan!

ChrisRaymo

Hi, Chris here from SE Michigan. New to knife-making, have been bouncing around some YouTubers watching them make knives and thought I might get into it. I've been playing around in my shop with stock removal, admittedly all the metal I've been using has just been junk. Old saw blades and files... But it's allowed me to learn a little bit about shaping and sanding, and such. I'm using a files for shaping and homemade file jig for doing bevels, and a soft brick, propane torch Forge to heat my metal up! I know, I know... I've got a lot of growing to do! But that's why I'm here. Seeing what you guys are able to do with some steel is amazing! I'm looking forward to reading up and learning along, thanks for this great resource.

Welcome! Don't sell the manual method short. Our own Kevin Zito has made masterpieces with files. Just remember: The finest knives and swords in history were made before electricity was a thing.

Welcome! Don't sell the manual method short. Our own Kevin Zito has made masterpieces with files. Just remember: The finest knives and swords in history were made before electricity was a thing.
Thanks. Great point! And no, I know everybody's got to start somewhere... Just glad that I've got the bug! I think I'm really going to enjoy this hobby.

Welcome, we all start somewhere I made my first knives the same way with a file jig.
Thanks for the welcome! I actually do think the jig is kind of cool, and I think it's helping me learn going at a little slower pace... having said that, I do look forward to the day I can get one of those really cool fancy grinders!

You get extra points for the name. Welcome, I made my first two knives with files and jigs and I have the carpal tunnel issues to prove it.
Thanks for the welcome!
Yes, it is a good name to have, eh? ;)

Do you think I can use the carpal tunnel issue to convince my wife I need to buy a grinder now?lol

Back