Hello from Kansas City

JPSWorks

Hello from Kansas City (fixed links to pictures)

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this and many other forums for a little less than a year now. I finally joined this forum recently and decided to get in gear and make a post introducing myself.

My name is John Sandy and I am a new knife maker here in the Kansas City Missouri metro area. I am a member of the Kansas Custom Knife Makers association and have been working to purchase more knife making tools over the last six to eight months.

I have been working on learning to make knives from the vast amount of information out there on the web, books, DVDs and on this site specifically. So far I have completed only four knives. In fact I just finished up sanding and polishing a CA finish on the handle of knife number four literally less than an hour ago. Took some quick pics and uploaded them just now.

I will probably make a separate post for each of my four knives but I will try to quickly list them and show some pics.

My very first knife was a friction folder made from an old Nicholson file and broken hickory hammer handle which I received, and of course broke, from my late uncle Stan. I used brass as a liner and stainless steel rod for the pivot pin and brass for the other pins. All of this was done on a harbor freight 1” grinder at a shared workspace. I finished the wood with True Oil.

(I just fixed the links to the pics below of my friction folder)

The second one took me a couple of months or more to complete. This is my lock back folder. I used thick stainless steel liner, and precision ground O1 tool steel. I used stabilized Amboyna Burl for the scales. I used a hacksaw to cut everything out, and hand files, good times. I was able to finish shaping and grinding once the KMG arrived. I finally heat treated the blade once my Paragon furnace arrived. These pics are pre heat treat with no final edge on it yet.

Number three is CPM 154 with stabilized redwood burl sanded then buffed. Brass pins and Acryglass liquid epoxy.

Number four is what I finished today. Well, technically I need to put the secondary edge on it this evening. This is a much thicker piece of CPM 154 with brass pins and stabilized Honduran Rosewood Burl attached via Acryglass liquid epoxy. I tried to use Bruce Bump’s how to for the CA handle finish. It is by no means perfect but I am still happy with the results and hope the next knife handle with CA finish is better. I absolutely love this one and am excited to work on knife number five soon.

Sorry for being so long winded and getting a bit carried away with the pics. I'm glad to finally be a member here and hope to participate whenever possible. Thanks for your time.

John

Last edited:
Welcome John from a fellow new maker and Kansas City guy. Knives are looking good. This place has some really good guys that are nice enough to share there knowledge. It's my favorite forum for sure.

John,
Welcome to Knife Dogs,nice knives.
I would like to invite you to The Knifemakers Guild Show September 2015,we are moving it to Kansas City.

I wouldn't call myself a knife maker, but I do make knives.

Welcome John. I live in Overland Park.

Knives look good. I really like the folder.

I wouldn't call myself a knife maker, but I do make knives.

Welcome John. I live in Overland Park.

Knives look good. I really like the folder.
Thank you for the compliment. I love the folder a lot. Nice to meet another local member.

Starting off with folders! That's cool. They intimidate me but they're on my bucket list to try some day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back