Hello from Indy, Dan

Dan Youngs

Hi my name is Dan , I am thinking about making some knife kits for Christmas presents. I hope to retire in about 10 years and have always been interested in knife making. So I hope to start as a hobby and see what happens. I have a 2x42 craftsman grinder with a 8" disk on the side, a drill press, and 4" angle grinder, bench grinder and some basic hand tools. Last week I made a maple handle for an old butcher knife 'machete' that I have had since I was about 12 years old. I used it on my trap line back then. That project got my interest peaked. I dug out all the knife making books I have bought over the last 20 years and started surfing the internet. My background is more woodworking. Hence my idea to buy blades already heat treated for a start.

I have been reading the forum and already appreciate the collective wisdom here.

Thanx, Dan

PS. If any knife makers with interest to show me the ropes are around Indianapolis I would like to meet you. I am looking for some mentorship.

Welcome, I'm new myself to knife making and it's a great way to be productive instead of sitting in front of the tv. I'm sure you'll enjoy and if you can do woodworking, you can do this.

Wayne

Back