Hello form Minnesota

Whopper Stopper

I recently retired (last year) and have been looking for a hobby now that I have some time to tinker. The walls within this forum are lined with some unbelievable talent. I have zero experience and frankly am getting a little concerned that maybe I am a little old to start now from scratch.

It seems almost overwhelming all the different steels, tools, techniques, I should have started years go.

Anyway you people should be proud of your talents! I hope someday I will be able to post a picture.

Marv

Welcome to KD! You will find all the information and materials you need right here! These folks know their stuff. Feel free to ask away. The easiest way to learn is to just do the total opposite of everything I do. Your knives will be in the smithsonian 6 months tops lol.

You’re never too old. I started a couple of years ago at 56. Wish I had started years ago too but raising a family and making a living came first. I’m still working but now I work in the knife shop a couple of hours each evening and on the weekends when I can. If I ever retire I’ll probably be in the shop 50 or 60 hours a week. :) There’s plenty of help for you here on Knife Dogs. Get going!! :) Oh, and welcome to the forum!

As Lucius says you're never too old. I've played with this hobby since I was in my mid 50's off and on for about eight years now. I recently retired also and I'm more involved in it than ever. It's a fascinating enjoyable and challenging hobby.

Welcome aboard!

Hello Marv.
Don't try to learn it all at once. Pick a discipline and concentrate on that. By that I mean, forge or stock removal.
Most guys start with a 3 piece knife. A blade and two scales. The steel you pick depends on how you are going to heat treat more than anything.
We are in Mankato, MN. Stop by if you have questions and I'll try and help.
t

Welcome. Don't worry too much about your starting age.....I'm 70 and just starting ! There is so much talent here, and everyone is willing to help.

Wow, I appreciate all the kind words and encouragement. I have looked through enough of the forum to see there are some very friendly and helpful members. Mr BossDog, I actually called your number and talked to a very friendly lady yesterday. I was wondering if you had a store or if everything was strictly online. She also invited me down Lol I really enjoy watching your videos, believe me when I say you make everything look very easy.

I will continue looking pawing through the archives for a couple beginner questions I have, if I can't come up with the answers I will post. I am thinking about buying a couple pieces of steel and getting a start.

Thanks again for the nice welcome.

Marv

Back