Heat treating N690 ???

Lerch

I have been looking at the data charts for this steel and i have a idea of what i wanna do but i figured i would ask around as well. Yall recommend any recipes ?

my plan was
heat to 1200 deg and hold for 10 min
heat to 1500 deg and hold for 10 min
soak at 1940 deg for 20min

LN cryo treat for 8 hrs

and temper at 300deg for RC of around 59 ??

should i temper at a lower temp for a little higher RC ???

thanks
steve

I said that I had looked that up on alpha and I was just wanting to make sure I had it right ...

all looks good except your cryo is for 8 hr. while AKS says for 3-4?

Be sure to get a temp reading before progressing (1200 deg. before proceeding to move up to 1500 deg. etc...) if at all possible.

signature, 2nd line!

Thanks ,

Temp Reading ? im using a evenheat oven so i will be just programming it for the 10 minute hold/ equalizing times at those temps

thanks

Sorry this is late. I just did a bunch of N690 for a customer - pretty much your recipe, but I have to say I found tempering results inconsistent. All came out of cryo in the 63 range. Customer request was for 59/60. First (2) tempers at 250 left about 2/3 of the blades at 60 - and the other 1/3 at 62 (ish). Third temper for the 1/3 remaining high was at 275 - which brought 1 more down to 60. Fourth temper at 300F brought all but one down to 60 - and it was just under 61, so we called it good.

Normally, we don't have to *iss around this much with a batch of nearly identical blades all processed the same. I guess I'm suggesting testing your results in case they may be different than expected.

Rob!

Back