Heat Treating Blade fixture

Gliden07

What does everyone use to keep blades upright in heat treating ovens? I screwed up and didn't order the blade fixture. Was looking for a quick fix I have some blade to treat and would like to do it ASAP. Thanks!

I took an old, skinny, railroad type nail and drilled some holes in it. Then I stuck some pins in there. You can stick the knives in between the pins. I wouldn't advise that long term though, because it scales up a lot and the pins wear away surprisingly fast. It also sucks when you knock it over and the oven is 1900 degrees. I need to order the real blade fixture, but if you are looking for a quick fix you could try that.

If you have an extra fire brick you could cut some grooves in the brick. It doesn't have to be very deep. Just enough to hold the blades up. Plus the brick will help even out the heat in your oven.

I just made one the other day out of 2” angle and threaded rod. Take two pieces of angle and drill matched holes in each with the holes at the ends in the center of that side of the angle the other holes maybe 3/8” from the top then use a portaband to cut to each side of your 3/8” depth holes making little slots. Use the threaded rod through the holes at the ends and some jam nuts to connect the two pieces of angle at whatever distance you need for the blade lengths you typically make.

So after reading the responses and over thinking things like I always do I decided to use a light weight refractory brick I had. Cut brick in half lenth wise then cut that half in half width wise. Marked Brick 3/4" up from bottom on both sides and took the ultra cheap file set from HF and used the round file to file down to the line. After that I just massaged the slots till I got them where I wanted them. I relieved all of the sharp corners (hopefully to make it last a few times?). Sure it won't last long but it will get me out of the woods on H/T. It only took my about 30 minutes to make too.

Attachments

• 20201122_134144.jpg
    20201122_134144.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20201122_140448.jpg
    20201122_140448.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Back