Heat Treat: Who Do I Send These To?

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I'm working on my first blades and do not have the ability to heat treat myself. The blades I'm working on are O-1. I have another blade that is either 1084 or 1095. When I snagged a really old blank out of Jim's trash bin, he couldn't remember which steel it was cut from. He did assure me that it was either 1084 or 1095 because those were the only steels he had ever cut those blanks from.

Now for my question. Seeing as I haven't the ability to heat treat, who would you guys recommend I send these to? I'd really like to finish these up this week and get them sent out and would like to hopefully have them back to finish when I return from leave on the 2nd of October.

The problem I have at the moment is that #1) I have no idea who to send them to. #2) I've spent most of my available funds on either equipment or supplies.

I'm also wondering if a heat treater will treat a blade if I decide I want to try to do a clay coating on the blades.

Murph

You can heat treat these yourself bro with a very simple set up. The 1084 will be easy...some say the 1095 is a little more difficult but you can still do it.You can heat treat these with a soft fire brick, a torch and a bucket of oil. You can tempor in your house oven.

But that is nice of Rusty to do it for you.2thumbs

That is very nice of you, Rusty.
Alot of places will HT steels that are Air Hardening only.

Back