Heat treat oven parts question

JAG

Ok Dogs, I am going to try to build a heat treat oven with a friend of mine. I have the plans that are available on this site somewhere. The thing is I have had an electrician look at my electrical and I cannot go 220. I am going to have to deal with the 110 for now.
I am going to get the insulating fire bricks next weekend and I need suggestions on the PID, SSR and anything else I will need. Auberins.com has some good one's but i need to narrow it down. I am hoping someone has built one for 110 and can recommend everything I will need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!2thumbs
Also, Has anyone here built a 110 unit and what kind of heat times are you experiencing?
Thanks! Jerry

Last edited:
Page 3 of this thread- http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=8373&page=3 -shows some pics of the one I built. I ordered a 1700W 110v element and 12 ga. high heat wire from Duralite, and got a basic PID, high temp. thermocouple, and 25 amp SSR with heat sink from Auber Instrument.
Mine takes almost an hour to reach 1600 F but works well once it comes up to temp. I have 20 amp breakers in the service panel, but I have a long-ish cord on the oven to reach the outlet and I have doubts that I am getting the full 15 amps that the element should be pulling. It is possible that you might be able to shorten the time to temp if you have stronger circuits.

Thanks Justin! An hour is actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I could live with that!! Thanks for the info!

Back