having trouble sharpening 440c

Wayne Bensinger

Hey guys, I have a question about sharpening 440c. Is that stuff a buger to sharpen, or is it me? I finished a knife and originally put a 22' edge on it and it was very sharp. I used it for a little while, got it nice dull. When I tried to re-sharpen it, I seem to be having real trouble getting back to the edge that it had on the first sharpening. I'm using a Gatco diamond, coarse, medium, fine, then an ultra fine stone. Sometimes I have trouble slicing paper now, before it went through like butter. Maybe somebody out there can help. Probably just me not using the tools correctly, but it worked right the first time, or at least it seemed too. Thanks.

Wayne

I suck at sharpening, and all my knives are made from 440c.

I think it's just me, but I'm interested to read some replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I never get told

You never got told? Where on earth did you have HTed? I stipple on to each blade I send to Buck knives like this.

Rhinoknives 440C Rc 60. And enclose a work order with the same info and if they are difference steels, the count. etc.

Did a friend or fellow Knife dogger do it?

Hi Laurence, that was one of the thoughts I had, maybe I should have had it tested??? I tried to skip at step since an Rc test is one tool I don't have. It had such a nice edge at first that I didn't even question it. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts, but I'm with Bodam, I really am pretty bad at sharpening, one day I can do it, the next it's like I have no idea how to do it. It never really turns out the same. I will get Rc checked to make sure then if that's ok, I'll just practice. Any other replies would be appreciated. On a side note, I have done a bunch of HT on 52100 with great results and figured I had it down good, all knives turned out good on the Rc and are very sharp, after a bit of trouble, they always got sharp.

Wayne

Sorry Scott, I realized after I replied back that I should have answered to you, not Laurence. Thanks to you both for the help.

Wayne

I get mine done in Houston and never get told the hardness

Well guys, just had it tested and it came 59Rc, so I guess I need more practice and patience. At least that's an easy fix, I'd hate for it to be the steel.

Wayne

No worries Wayne, i was just thinking if it was to soft, that would be why its not sharpening up for you. If its 59, thats spot on where it should be. I have used 440c for almost 20 years and still have no problems with it. It should sharpen up. Sometimes things happen that way. I am sure you can do it. May have to just lay it down for a day or two, and go back to it later. Scott

Back