Having to hand up Grinding knives for a while.

rhinoknives

Hello to my fellow Knife Doggers and internet family.

I launched my knife making into a large shop & retail back in 2011.

Unfortunately I have had a new issue with my neck with a bulged disc at C-7 in my neck/spine. My left arm and now my right are going numb and painful some days and all I can do is wreck steel.
The epidural shot I had done gave some relief but the writing is on the wall that my days of knife making full time are over. I have always done well and will move into another craft I can do and enjoy that is not so physically demanding once I get this place closed and rest and get my health straighten out.

I've already had to discs removed in my lower back so I am not in any hurry to have any more surgeries. The reason of this post isn't for anyone's sympathy.
The reason is that I consider many of you family and I will be selling off quite a lot of tools & machinery for knife making.

So if you live in close to me and are interested in Motors, saws, More stuff that I can think of etc? Stop by or call me. I will try to list some stuff as I can in the selling forums.

Thanks my friends.

That sucks. Hopefully, you can still make some knives on good days. Your knives are too nice to disappear forever.

Laurence, sorry for your bad news. Wishing you that the best is yet to come. I hope you find something you love to do as much as making knives. Teddy

That's bad news, Laurence. Here's hoping you find a passion you can live with. And hoping you stop by to say hey now and then.

Hate to hear this Laurence. I hope this doesn't mean we wont hear from you occasionally. If you need any help finishing up any prior obligations, I'm willing to do what I can to help you out.

That sucks. Hopefully, you can still make some knives on good days. Your knives are too nice to disappear forever.
Tony,
Thanks for the kins words! Knife making is in my blood, I'm not done, I just need to regroup and see if I get better if I am not constantly aggravating the problem by grinding most every day.

Sorry to hear this Laurence .

-Josh

Thanks Josh,
I will still have some of my customs, so the next time you are involved with an auction for an injured maker?
Get a hold of me and I will do my best to get into another bidding war on my own knife again! LOL.

Laurence,
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you tried to continue on after the epidural but it's good that you realize your limitations.
You will do good at whatever decide to pursue after this. You have the right attitude and that's very important.
God speed in your transition.

Laurence, sorry for your bad news. Wishing you that the best is yet to come. I hope you find something you love to do as much as making knives. Teddy

Thank you Teddy,
I still have my Rhino Finger Skin biz growing slowly but surely and I will find something to do Artistic that won't make things worse. I have enjoyed wood turning my few wine stoppers and bottle openers so I will set my lathe up in the garage after I close here.

Sorry to hear about your medical issue, I hope you find something else you enjoy doing to fill the gap.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Hope you get your health issues under control soon. I'm glad to hear you are not giving up knives completely and that you will still be around here. You have helped many people on here greatly including me and I am thankful for it.

Sorry to hear about this. I also have back and neck problems. In my lower back I have no cartilage between the last vertebrae. My neck I'm not sure which one it is, but it's not bulging yet. So far I'm doing OK. I've found an inversion table helps me tremendously. Just throwing that out there for food for thought. Don't know if you've tried one.

Hope it all works out for you for the best whichever direction you decide to go from here.

I certainly understand your urge to continue. My wife still doesn't realize how this affects me. My time may not be far off but until then, Laurence, I will hope you will be in here once in a while. I will always remember you as the maker that hoped and tried to help everyone making knives. Thank you for that Laurence !!! Frank

Back