Hatcher Sevbok

Shawn Hatcher

I just finished this one today and thought I'd share. This one is a customer's design and my first persian. Some of you may recognize the similarity of this knife to my Ringbok. The Ringbok was actually a proof-of-concept for this knife (as in proving whether or not I could grind this animal!). Thanks for checking out my work! :biggrin:

-.165" CPM3V steel heat/cryo treated by Peters to 60-61 RC

-11.5" OAL

-7.25" blade

-9 ounces

-Hollow ground primary bevel, convex edge & convex clip - backcut capable

-Etched and Tumbled finish

-Stabilized amboyna burl with black canvas micarta bolsters, liners, and dividers with 416 stainless pins

IMG_1711-XL.jpg

IMG_1728-X2.jpg

IMG_1716-X2.jpg

IMG_1742-X2.jpg

IMG_1739-X2.jpg

Here's a short video I shot while grinding the bevels (using my drill press table as a tripod!):

[video=youtube;rXQhk7_yGbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQhk7_yGbc[/video]

My likey! Very muchy!

Edit: i saw the clip, isnt the rotating the blade 90 degrees bit much? You see, thats what i did on my very first hollo, byt i frlt it didnt make sense, so i did it to lesser angle and i pulled the tang toward me a little, and i worked nice and the 'hollow' was visible from top
But now youre making me doubt that!

Thanks for sharing the video and pics Shawn

Last edited:
Edit: i saw the clip, isnt the rotating the blade 90 degrees bit much? You see, thats what i did on my very first hollo, byt i frlt it didnt make sense, so i did it to lesser angle and i pulled the tang toward me a little, and i worked nice and the 'hollow' was visible from top

I'm not sure if I understand your question. A bit much according to whom or what? I achieved my desired edge thickness and geometry with what I think are pleasing aesthetics. My Sevbok pattern has a persian-style tip, meaning the tip is above the centerline of the knife. Was your first hollow grind a persian?

If I was grinding a wharncliffe-style blade I would pull the knife straight across. If I was grinding a modified wharncliffe I'd pull the handle down slightly as I approached the tip. If I was grinding a drop point style blade I would pull the tang down even more as I approached the tip.

In other words, the shape of the edge dictates the motion I use when hollow grinding, and each knife is different depending on various factors (blade type, blade thickness, desired geometry, desired edge thickness, aesthetics, etc). Does that make sense?

Also, take into consideration that I have the belt tracked off the side of the wheel and I'm only grinding with the outer 1/3 or so of the belt. I usually never even touch the middle of the belt when hollow grinding.

Shawn Hatcher:241173 said:

I'm not sure if I understand your question. A bit much according to whom or what? I achieved my desired edge thickness and geometry with what I think are pleasing aesthetics. My Sevbok pattern has a persian-style tip, meaning the tip is above the centerline of the knife. Was your first hollow grind a persian?

If I was grinding a wharncliffe-style blade I would pull the knife straight across. If I was grinding a modified wharncliffe I'd pull the handle down slightly as I approached the tip. If I was grinding a drop point style blade I would pull the tang down even more as I approached the tip.

In other words, the shape of the edge dictates the motion I use when hollow grinding, and each knife is different depending on various factors (blade type, blade thickness, desired geometry, desired edge thickness, aesthetics, etc). Does that make sense?

Also, take into consideration that I have the belt tracked off the side of the wheel and I'm only grinding with the outer 1/3 or so of the belt. I usually never even touch the middle of the belt when hollow grinding.

Yeah that makes perfect sense, my first didnt look like that but according to your description it is 'persian', it was a hunter/skinner, the tip was actually just slightly lowered from the top of the spine

I guess i have a lot to learn about hollow grinding!

Thanks

I guess i have a lot to learn about hollow grinding!

The learning never stops, Ahmad. ;)

I should also state that I didn't intend the video to be instructional, but rather part of the WIP of this knife being made for the Shop Updates on my website. I don't consider myself experienced enough to be teaching anybody how to grind a knife.

I've also learned that there are very few hard-and-fast rules when it comes to making a knife. I've seen guys grind edge down, I've seen guys grind while holding the knife vertical against he wheel, and various other ways and end up with beautiful, functional knives. So just because you do it differently than someone else does NOT mean that you're doing anything wrong. If you're getting good edge geometry and your knives are performing, that's really all that matters.

If there are any hard-and-fast rules in knifemaking it would be typically associated with heat treat. But you only need to look as far as Ed Fowler or Tai Goo to realize that everything isn't always as it seems.

Shawn,
Great looking knife!
I love the flow of the blade & grinds and handle plus the handle woods as well!

After watching the vid I do suggest that you get a thick heavy leather apron that goes down past your knees to protect your family jewels and arteries in your legs from flying sharp objects. I'm am sure you don't want to start singing soprano at this time of your life and if you are alone in the shop and a femur artery gets cut, You can bleed dry in a matter of minutes.

I don't turn on my grinder without my apron on for this reason.

Stay safe my friend.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

After watching the vid I do suggest that you get a thick heavy leather apron that goes down past your knees to protect your family jewels and arteries in your legs from flying sharp objects.

Certainly words of wisdom. Like many of us, I sometimes get complacent and it's good to be reminded about such things. I do have and use an apron, but it isn't leather. It's a pretty heavy-duty canvas apron that I picked up from Duluth Trading Co. Here's a shot of me flat grinding while wearing it. The apron does have some battle scars and I suspect has prevented more than one injury.

2012-11-16%20at%2013-45-12%20-%20Version%202-XL.jpg

Certainly words of wisdom. Like many of us, I sometimes get complacent and it's good to be reminded about such things. I do have and use an apron, but it isn't leather. It's a pretty heavy-duty canvas apron that I picked up from Duluth Trading Co. Here's a shot of me flat grinding while wearing it. The apron does have some battle scars and I suspect has prevented more than one injury.

2012-11-16%20at%2013-45-12%20-%20Version%202-XL.jpg

That will help and is much better than just jeans and a t-shirt. I too can get complacent and that's when we can get into trouble. Some day I will make a Kevlar or other type knife resistant shop apron & have a full face mask and steel boots etc to go with it! .:biggrin:

Stay safe!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Sexy curves and exceptional grinds. The finish is outstanding, and I really like your handle combo. I would say that is a very fine looking piece of weaponry Shawn. I follow your work with ever increasing interest. You certainly seem to know your way around the steel my friend.

As for the protection / safety, that's something we all should be concerned with. I have first hand knowledge of what complacency can do when working around machinery. A life changing accident can happen to anyone, and it's all over in a fraction of a second.

On the up side, you might get to use handicapped parking for the rest of your life!
It's funny how people look at you when you use the handicapped parking spot. Everyone gives you a quick visual physical as you dismount your vehicle. I bet the vast majority of people who see me parking in handicapped spaces think my handicap is inproper weight distribution.

Back