Hatcher Nimrod

Shawn Hatcher

This is a prototype hunter/utility that I just finished this morning. I ground the bevels of this knife using a 36" radius platen made by Nathan the Machinist. The result is a very subtle hollow grind that I find very appealing. This knife also has a subtle convex edge, something I've been practicing and will be doing much more of.

Thank you for checking out my work. :biggrin:

-.140" CPM154 stainless steel heat/cryo treated by Peters to 60 RC

-8.75" OAL

-5" blade

-7 ounces

-Hollow ground primary bevel using 36" radius platen

-Convex edge

-Tumbled finish

-Desert ironwood scales with cocobolo burl bolsters, black/white G10 liners/dividers, and carbon fiber pins

IMG_1085-X2.jpg

IMG_1092-XL.jpg

IMG_1097-X2.jpg

IMG_1109-X2.jpg

IMG_1108-X2.jpg

Size comparison with my Jaybok and SFB.

IMG_1133-XL.jpg

Clean. Absolutely beautiful work. The carbon fiber pins and cocobolo are a great combination.

Very nice work and beautiful wood. Would like to see some pics of that platen- very cool- seems to work....

Very Nice- and water cooling is great idea- probably a necessary mod with the constant pressure in one spot. Seems the steel backing compared to a rubber wheel would make you really stay in groove all the time, but if do then end up with a very clean grind, as you've shown. Thanks for showing.

Seems the steel backing compared to a rubber wheel would make you really stay in groove all the time, but if do then end up with a very clean grind, as you've shown.

I actually find it much more difficult to grind with vs. my 10" wheel. The 36" radius groove is very shallow, which makes it difficult to "feel" the groove from pass to pass. The above knife was my first knife ground using the radius platen and my lines were ugly until I started to develop a feel for it. Like everything else we do in knifemaking, it's just a matter of developing the skill through practice.

The water-cooled part is Nathan's "Platen Chiller" and I use it both on the radius platen and my flat platen. This platen chiller is by far the most valuable addition to my shop since I bought the KMG.

Back