Hardness Tester - Where to buy one and how much?

Grizzly Bear

I need help guys. I have been looking for a Rockwell C tester to buy. All the ones I have come across are digital
and cost between $3,000 and $5,000. Is there new cheaper ones for sale anywhere?

I saw a video where the knife maker was using a manual tester where he hit the pin with a hammer and measured
the indention using a round needle gauge (it wasn't digital). I can't find any of these for sale or I don't
know what to call them so I can do a search for them.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Grizzly Bear

Here's a couple from the more popular places, Enco and Grizzly. Of course, I'm sure they're made in China but I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. Bunch of guys have these. Enco actually has a 10% off and free shipping for orders over $99 for the month of July, I can send you coupon codes. I got a Wilson used on Craigslist for $300, Justin told me about one on a government surplus site that went pretty cheap too. There are deals out there if you're patient.
enco.JPG girzzly.JPG

I use an Ames model 1 handheld tester. I think I paid around $150 for a used unit on Ebay and it works very well in warmer weather. If it is below 50° in my shop, the tester loses repeatable accuracy. I just do my testing in the house if it's cold outside. I always test the standard first to ensure I'm getting accurate results. Personally, I would rather use the Ames than take a chance on a import bench model.

Bob

Back