Hard milling versus grinding.....

Sitting in a chair or stool while grinding comes up on forums every now and then . From what I've read its more common than we think or care to admit. Biggest complaint i saw were guys sitting to close to the sparks. Seems they didn't like their crotches getting hot. Second was sitting on metal chairs/stools and getting zapped .
Hope you find a solution and things get better.
at my age, generating sparks is the LEAST of my problems. AS to my crotch getting hot, no big concern there, either ! Getting Zapped is not a concern , just understand basic electricity - problem easily solved.
i don't think things can get much better. I mean, I live in the middle of a national forest. I don't have any extra bull in my life. Been married to the same girl for 36 years. raise our own food. can hunt and fish when I want. Can practice shoot off any of my decks. My life is so much better than most of the people on this planet. plus, I don't have a cell phone !

at my age, generating sparks is the LEAST of my problems. AS to my crotch getting hot, no big concern there, either ! Getting Zapped is not a concern , just understand basic electricity - problem easily solved.
i don't think things can get much better. I mean, I live in the middle of a national forest. I don't have any extra bull in my life. Been married to the same girl for 36 years. raise our own food. can hunt and fish when I want. Can practice shoot off any of my decks. My life is so much better than most of the people on this planet. plus, I don't have a cell phone !
You don't have to rub it in bro! ;)

I'm slightly jealous. haha. I sit when I grind but I built my table to..be as such. I didn't know it was common for people to stand. I fully understand health problems, (Thank God I don't have worse ones), and I know how much it is a psych fuck man but.
Given the situation that you're describing, folders seem like a logical and practical transition. And the work you're describing not only is it doable with folders, but it's actually common and even desired. You might have a lot more avenues for help and learning the tricks.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making Bowies if that's what you've got your mind set on. But if bowies are presenting some challenges, folders might come easier.
This actually sounds like the best advice. I personally am not a fan of chasing problems, especially when it comes to physical limitations, just remember that it also affects the metal limitations and unlike the physical YOU CAN control that. It just takes practice.
Sitting in a chair or stool while grinding comes up on forums every now and then . From what I've read its more common than we think or care to admit. Biggest complaint i saw were guys sitting to close to the sparks. Seems they didn't like their crotches getting hot. Second was sitting on metal chairs/stools and getting zapped .
Hope you find a solution and things get better.
As my buddy here said <3, if you're doing that you shouldn't be around power tools. Sparks I just ignore with a welding apron. I also truly hope that you find a solution, and while I do not know your health conditions, nor should I, I truly wish you the best of luck and I'll say a little prayer albeit I'm not religious for ya man. Don't let your mind beat your body up. That's the only advice I can give.

I have been building some Bowie knives. Due to health challenges standing at the belt grinder for any length of time is impossible...yesterday a I made a blade "un-sellable" by grinding while sitting. grinding is my favorite thing to do ....or at least it was till I had to sit. (The world just sorta goes away when you're grinding...you know what i mean.)

Have any of you CNC guys tried to "hard mill" a finished blade surface post heat treat? I asked an old boss of mine if he's done any hard milling and he has....using high end Japanese CNC milling machines...he suggested calling Harvey tool (expensive to me cutting tool mfg) for advise.....when I told him..."they're 60.5 rockwell C..." he said "uhh...yeah...that's getting on the hard side...." Lol....but he did not say "impossible!"

I have 23 year old machines and use fairly standard cutters and do not want to fall down the learning curve sinkhole...but I have just sold 5 Bowies and have one to finish for Gene K. and another for my son's birthday....and am somewhat over-whelmed....and weak...honestly. Literally thought I was going to faint about an hour ago.

I may take a day and just play with it...not the route I'd like to go...but I am not a traditionalist....I love mid tech when done well...HATE it otherwise....
I would like to keep making knives...and good ones at that.

One pro that I see is consistency...right now resting every 5-10 minutes is blowing my "groove"...(you also know what I mean) which affects my consistency....
heat will also be a pro as it will be manageable easier than grinding due to the super light cuts....
The doc wants me off my foot till it heals...which standing at a knife grinder is being a bad boy....

The huge con that I see is the time it will take for the cutter path to run...however...a long CNC program would mean a rest for the ol' foot...The other con is on a more traditional blade...like a bowie...I don't know how well recieved a cnc cut blade will be recieved.....?

perhaps it's time to move to folders....lol.

Anyway...a bit discouraged....thanks for the rant...any opinions/advise appreciated..
You might want to have a look at CBN or PCD inserts for hardened steel. They are rated for 68hrc max. I have not milled hardened steel, but have turned some on the lathe with CBN inserts and it works, leaves an excellent finish but the swarf comes out like a rain of fire! Inserts are expensive but you will find used inserts off ebay at a lower price and with reasonable life left in them.

Back