Handles coming apart

Both epoxies you used are fine. Surface prep and application matter more than the brand of modern epoxies.

Both epoxies you used are fine.
If I may disagree. The OP said he used 5 minute epoxies. I assume he assembled the tang & handle pieces all at the same time. In my opinion to get secure adhesion with the glue, each mating surface needs to be thoroughly "wetted" with the glue. Looking at his liner and scale stack, he's got 12 surfaces to cover with glue, stack and clamp. I would be very uncomfortable trying to get that all done before 5 minute epoxy begins to set up.
I suspect that is what contributed to the delamination.

Surface prep and application matter more than the brand of modern epoxies.
I agree, surface prep is key to a strong joint. After surface abrasion, acetone was my final cleaning step before glue-up. However, I've read that even Acetone will leave a surface film and a final cleaning needs to be done with Alcohol. My experience shows that to be true. So, my cleaning process - 1st Acetone, then Alcohol.

Exactly. It’s not that 5 minute epoxy won’t hold, it holds well. The problem is that it can start to kick before you get everything clamped and the air squeezed out. You will often get gaps. And God forbid you get the liners wrong because you can forget pulling the handle apart and fixing it before it’s too late. Ask me how I know.

Gene: Why did you change?

They reached out to me with an offer of samples to try. I did some tests comparing it to g-flex and felt it held up better. I also thought it was smoother applying and didn’t start thickening up as fast as g-flex. I have seen tests from other makers who felt the same.
Granted, a knife should never be subjected to that kind of abuse and I think either will hold up very well for normal knife use.

Back